- “Spare a bit for the needy? Please. It's not for me; it's for my child...”
Zerlinda was seduced by a casteless man who - for personal gain - sought to have a daughter with her, because a child of the same sex parent is of the same caste, and would (being the father) allow him to live with Zerlinda's family. However, when Zerlinda bore a son, he abandoned her. As the same sex parent, the child was born casteless, like him. Unfortunately for Zerlinda and her baby, it would have been a huge scandal if her family accepted a casteless among them. The ultimatum given by her father, Ordel, was that she abandon her son in the Deep Roads to die, or he would disown her. Zerlinda refused, choosing an impoverished life in Dust Town over abandoning her baby.
When the Warden initiates a conversation with her, she asks for some coin and the Warden can give her 5. She then explains her story and if the Warden decides to help her there are various outcomes for Zerlinda and her son. This is part of the Zerlinda's Woe quest.
- The Warden can talk to her father Ordel in order to accept her back to her family along with her son. If successful, she will promise that when her son becomes of age to make him a knight in the Warden's service.
- If there is a chantry in Orzammar as part of The Chant in the Deep quest, the Warden can talk to Brother Burkel to give work to Zerlinda, food and shelter for the boy or accept her son as a ward.
- Zerlinda can also be advised to leave for the surface where she can have a normal life.
- The Warden can also persuade her to abandon her baby into the Deep Roads and return to her family.