- “It's so rare to have company. Well, living company, at any rate.”
Xenon is an ancient being who is approximately 300 years old. He was once a Kirkwall nobleman living in the Steel Age. Extremely wealthy, and equally arrogant, he believed that someone as high-ranking as himself should not have to succumb to death, and so spent many years and a large amount of his fortune in search of a way to live forever.
Eventually, he found an Antivan Witch of the Wilds, and made a deal with her to attain eternal life. She granted him his wish, but he, unfortunately, forgot also to ask for eternal youth.  His body withered and decayed over the centuries. Xenon used his fortune in an attempt to preserve his body using mystical and dangerous means, but no method has ever been successful. Finally no longer able to move on his own, he went into hiding in the Undercity and began collecting strange and rare artifacts. He extends invitations to his shop only to people he deems worthy: those who have enough money to fund his search for a cure against aging. The many servants who take care of him still hunt to find a way to reverse the effects of aging and return him to his once youthful state.
Xenon is immobile and uses a magical artifact to imitate speech since he lost the ability to speak. He sits in the center of his emporium and appears to have an excess of limbs. He is bathed hourly to keep his body from drying up.
Dragon Age II Edit
Xenon sends Hawke a letter at the beginning of Act 1, an invitation to The Black Emporium, along with instructions on navigating the Undercity to reach the shop and a charm that acts as a pass. At Hawke's initial visit to the Black Emporium, Xenon is excited to have a customer. He keeps an urchin boy as his assistant, and a stone golem, Thaddeus Gigantus Crumbum the Third, provides security and theft protection. Xenon claims Thaddeus is his "favorite."
In each act, more of Xenon's artifacts become available in The Black Emporium to unlock codex entries, and Xenon adds new items to his inventories.
Dragon Age: Inquisition Edit
Years later, Xenon extends an invitation to the Inquisition to come and partake of his wares. Though the golem does not seem to be present when the Inquisitor visits, they do encounter a miniaturized bear named Chauncy that Xenon has acquired from a Magister sometime in the past few years.
Xenon's servants have apparently been busy over the last few years acquiring many new artifacts and items, including legendary crafting schematics, and rare armor, weapons, and accessories.
Dragon Age II Edit
- "The Templars sometimes come here, you know. The blood stains take just weeks to clean up. Poor Thaddeus."
- "Some Dane fellow asked, "Why make a shop so hard to find?" I mean, really! He just has no concept."
- "Few people are worthy of an invitation, you know. They search the sewers for the emporium and accost poor urchin. And I tell urchin to say, 'No! You are not worthy. Starve in the sewers!' Except urchin never speaks."
Dragon Age: Inquisition Edit
- "I have quite an extensive library on the history of forbidden magic. It's back there. Somewhere. I... think. I haven't been able to turn my head to look for two centuries."
- "You may pet the tiny bear, but be gentle. A magister miniaturized him specially at great cost. He answers to 'Chauncey.'"
- "We had a visitor the other day. Turned out to be a Venatori! We fed him to the monster under the floorboards. He made a delightful crunching noise. Are they all like that?"
- "Urchin, bring me a moist towelette."
- "Do not antagonize Chauncey, the tiny bear. He may be small, but he nips."
- "Where's my backscratcher?"
- "Where is the urchin? I require the services of the urchin."
- "Watch your step. We received a shipment of invisible nugs the other day."
- "Help yourself to a sock from the basket. But only one!"
- "Handle the merchandise with care."
- "Tell the ambassador her ancestor came to visit us in the Blessed Age. I gave her a candle made from a withered hand. I should like to see it again."
See also EditCodex entry: Xenon the Antiquarian Codex entry: Xenon the Antiquarian (Inquisition) The Best Defense
Stamped on the inside of the shield: "Property of Xenon the Antiquarian. Absolutely not for resale! If found, return to Urchin immediately."
Requires: Level 20
+30% Front Defense
+8% heal bonus
+9% ranged defense
Enhanced Shield Wall: Every fifth block with Shield Wall deals massive damage to enemies in the area
- Xenon's story of immortality is likely based on Tithonus, the lover of the Greek God Eos from Greek mythology. Eos asked Zeus to make Tithonus immortal but, like Xenon, forgot to ask for eternal youth. He then aged until he became nothing more than a grasshopper, which Eos kept in a box.