The West Brecilian Forest is the first section of the Brecilian Forest that the Warden enters. This part features several streams crossing the pathways, and is where the Grand Oak lives. It can only be entered after approaching the Dalish Elf clans for the Nature of the Beast quest.
You will encounter Swiftrunner and two werewolves on an island to the north-east.
- If you can Persuade you may be able to convince them that you mean them no harm. He will tell you that they hate Zathrian and to leave the forest.
- If you can Persuade or Intimidate you may be able to convince them that you don’t want to fight but you can’t leave, or that you’re not going anywhere; they leave.
- Otherwise you say there is no reason to fight, or you fight them (see below).
- If you can Intimidate you may be able to convince them to leave.
- If you say there is no reason to fight then they leave.
- Otherwise you will have to fight them. Once one of them reaches 50% Health they break off the battle and leave (so you don’t gain any XP from killing them).
No matter what you do, you get:
- 100 XP
Abandoned campsite Edit
There is an "abandoned" campsite near The Grand Oak. This campsite is a trap; an illusion set up by a Greater shade. The party's actions upon entering the area either increase or decrease their ability to stay awake and defend themselves. If party resistance falls to -6, the entire party will fall asleep except for the character with the highest willpower, who must fight the shade.
The party's resistance changes are listed in detail at Abandoned Campsite.Strategy
Wynne may use Vessel of the Spirit at the start of the fight. It is unknown whether that causes an exception to, or is the effect of an exception to, the sleep effect. The spell would seem to allow Wynne to resist sleeping when she would not have on her own merits, i.e., her Willpower. The lack of a stun for Wynne to suffer may mean there is a different spell by the same name in the game, or that the indicator was just a visual lie, perhaps meant to clarify the resistance.
If you have the Grand Oak’s Branch or the Mad Hermit’s Werewolf Pelt then the Shade’s illusion will dissipate as it attacks and all party members awake.
This encounter is significantly easier if a Spirit Healer Mage has learned Revival, as it can be used to revive any party members that have fallen "asleep," allowing your entire party to make quick work of the Shade.
Anyone that was put to sleep now has an Injury.
Quests EditNature of the Beast The Mage's Treasure Sign of Safe Passage Wounded in the Forest Places of Power Rare Ironbark
- Wolves (Animal, Critter)
- Blight Wolves (Darkspawn, Normal)
- Werewolves (Beast, Normal or Elite)
- Rabid Werewolves (Beast, Normal)
- Black Bears (Animal, Normal)
- Great Bear (Animal, Elite)
- Hurlocks (Darkspawn, Normal)
- Ogre (Darkspawn, Elite)
- Wild sylvan (Beast, Normal or Elite)
- Greater shade (Demon, Elite)
- Denerim Mercenaries (Human, Critter/Normal/Elite) - see Sign of Safe Passage
- Revenant (Undead, Boss)
- Fanged Skeleton (Undead, Elite)
- Skeleton archers (Undead, Normal)
- Skeleton mage (Undead, Normal)
Grand Oak Clearing
- Grand Oak (Beast, Boss)
- Ogre Alpha (Darkspawn, Boss)
- Genlocks (Darkspawn, Normal)
- Hurlock (Darkspawn, Normal)
Notable items EditDeathroot
A harmless enough plant on its own, deathroot's thick leaves contain an extract that the Chasind have used to induce hallucinations for centuries. Sufficiently concentrated, it can be made into a deadly poison.
Reinforced (Tier 5)
Requires: 17 strength
+2 constitution, source: Deygan Deygan's Dal'Thanu
Veridium (Tier 4)
Requires: 19 strength
Critical chance: 1.30%
Armor penetration: 2.90
Strength modifier: 1.10
+10% nature resistance
+4 attack, source: Deygan Dusk Ring
The signs of dwarven craftsmanship on this ring are clear. Carved from a single, flawless piece of amethyst, it is heavy and cool to the touch. When equipped in a set with the ring named Dawn, the character gains a bonus to armor.
-1 strength, source: Chest (after defeating the Greater Shade)
The common name for canavaris, this herb actually has little to do with elves other than being commonly collected and traded to outsiders by the Dalish. It is the primary ingredient in many healing salves.
Use: Chewing elfroot restores a small amount of health, and those with skill can use elfroot to make more potent elixirs. Ironbark
Somewhat blue in color, this rare wood is found only in the Brecilian Forest. It is surprisingly strong and is very light.
, source: Fallen Tree Magister's Cinch
This was formed from several braided strips of dark material. One feels ice cold to the touch. Another, extremely hot. Yet another seems almost to have a pulse of its own.
+10% to healing effects received, source: Corpse Silver Cord
The central gem of this piece serves merely as clasp for the cord, a weave of sliver almost ethereal in weight. It may be of mortal origin, but it is far too delicate to have felt hammer or tong.
+5% spirit resistance
+2% spell resistance, source: drop Ogre Andraste's Grace
A small white wildflower, commonly known as Andraste's Grace.
These gloves are made of supple leather and lined with soft rabbit fur.
, gift, source: Chest (after defeating the Greater Shade)
This almost-perfect orb is made of a polished black stone and has been painted to look like the night sky, complete with constellations.
, source: Rubble Ox Bone
This ox bone still has some tendon attached to it.
, source: Rubble
- Corpse (Ferelden, Normal) - near Great Bear
- Corpse (Special) - contains Magister's Cinch
- Rubble (Special) - contains Painted Skyball & Ox Bone
- Skeleton (Ferelden, Normal)
- Chest (Generic, Boss) - contains Dusk Ring
- Pile of Bones (Generic, Critter)
- Pile of Bones (Elven, Critter)
- Pile of Bones (Elven, Normal)
Special objects Edit
- A "Landmark Tree" can be used to activate Mabari Dominance.
- A Mystical Site of Power for Places of Power side quest.
- Gravestone - part of The Mage's Treasure hunt.
- The abandoned camp is a possible reference to the Codex entry: Cautionary Tales for the Adventurous
- There is an occasional glitch with the group of darkspawn, where if the character doesn't interact with them, they stop and stand around as NPCs. The Warden may not interact or fight them like this.
- A Ranger with a summoned pet can run into Game Over upon sleeping at the Abandoned Campsite, likely due to the game picking the pet as the non-KO'd companion.