The West Brecilian Forest is the first section of the Brecilian Forest that the Warden enters. This part features several streams crossing the pathways, and is where the Grand Oak lives. It can only be entered after approaching the Dalish Elf clans for the Nature of the Beast quest.
There is an "abandoned" campsite near the The Grand Oak.
Investigating any of the objects in the campsite leads to the party falling "asleep" and being attacked by a Greater shade. Only those with high willpower will be awake to fight it. Wynne may use Vessel of the Spirit at the start of the fight. It is unknown whether that causes an exception to, or is the effect of an exception to, the the sleep effect. The spell would seem to allow Wynne to resist sleeping when she would not have on her own merits, ie., her Willpower. The lack of a stun for Wynne to suffer may mean there is a different spell by the same name in the game, or that the indicator was just a visual lie, perhaps meant to clarify the resistance.
The Warden can also turn and try to leave the camp. If he or she did not examine any of the items in the camp the entire party will resist the illusion and stay awake.
- Wolves (Animal, Critter)
- Blight Wolves (Darkspawn, Normal)
- Werewolves (Beast, Normal or Elite)
- Rabid Werewolves (Beast, Normal)
- Black Bears (Animal, Normal)
- Great Bear (Animal, Elite)
- Hurlocks (Darkspawn, Normal)
- Ogre (Darkspawn, Elite)
- Wild sylvan (Beast, Normal or Elite)
- Greater shade (Demon, Elite)
- Denerim Mercenaries (Human, Critter/Normal/Elite) - see Sign of Safe Passage
- Revenant (Undead, Boss)
- Fanged Skeleton (Undead, Elite)
- Skeleton archers (Undead, Normal)
- Skeleton mage (Undead, Normal)
Grand Oak Clearing
- Grand Oak (Beast, Boss)
- Ogre Alpha (Darkspawn, Boss)
- Genlocks (Darkspawn, Normal)
- Hurlock (Darkspawn, Normal)
Notable items Edit
A harmless enough plant on its own, deathroot's thick leaves contain an extract that the Chasind have used to induce hallucinations for centuries. Sufficiently concentrated, it can be made into a deadly poison.
Reinforced (Tier 5)
Requires: 17 strength
+2 constitution, source: Deygan
Veridium (Tier 4)
Requires: 19 strength
Critical chance: 1.30%
Armor penetration: 2.90
Strength modifier: 1.10
+10% nature resistance
+4 attack, source: Deygan
The signs of dwarven craftsmanship on this ring are clear. Carved from a single, flawless piece of amethyst, it is heavy and cool to the touch. When equipped in a set with the ring named Dawn, the character gains a bonus to armor.
-1 strength, source: Chest (after defeating the Greater Shade)
The common name for canavaris, this herb actually has little to do with elves other than being commonly collected and traded to outsiders by the Dalish. It is the primary ingredient in many healing salves.
Use: Chewing elfroot restores a small amount of health, and those with skill can use elfroot to make more potent elixirs.
Somewhat blue in color, this rare wood is found only in the Brecilian Forest. It is surprisingly strong and is very light.
, source: Fallen Tree
This was formed from several braided strips of dark material. One feels ice cold to the touch. Another, extremely hot. Yet another seems almost to have a pulse of its own.
+10% to healing effects received, source: Corpse
The central gem of this piece serves merely as clasp for the cord, a weave of sliver almost ethereal in weight. It may be of mortal origin, but it is far too delicate to have felt hammer or tong.
+5% spirit resistance
+2% spell resistance, source: drop Ogre
A small white wildflower, commonly known as Andraste's Grace.
These gloves are made of supple leather and lined with soft rabbit fur.
, Gift, source: Chest (after defeating the Greater Shade)
This almost-perfect orb is made of a polished black stone and has been painted to look like the night sky, complete with constellations.
, source: Rubble
This ox bone still has some tendon attached to it.
, source: Rubble
- Corpse (Ferelden, Normal) - near Great Bear
- Corpse (Special) - contains Magister's Cinch
- Rubble (Special) - contains Painted Skyball & Ox Bone
- Skeleton (Ferelden, Normal)
- Chest (Generic, Boss) - contains Dusk
- Pile of Bones (Generic, Critter)
- Pile of Bones (Elven, Critter)
- Pile of Bones (Elven, Normal)
Special objects Edit
- A "Landmark Tree" can be used to activate Mabari Dominance.
- The abandoned camp is a possible reference to the Codex entry: Cautionary Tales for the Adventurous
- There is an occasional glitch with the group of darkspawn, where if the character doesn't interact with them, they stop and stand around as NPCs. The Warden may not interact or fight them like this.