Craft a hilt to hold a spirit blade, study the methods required to wield the blade, and Commander Helaine will reveal the secrets of the Knight-Enchanter specialization. Take the essence from wisps at the Old Thoroughfare, the Weeping Spires, and Granite Point in the Fallow Mire. Readings can be found among the belongings of followers who share the discipline. Or, if unavailable, among the wares of the book merchant in Val Royeaux.
After completing the main quest From the Ashes and moving to Skyhold, a war table operation Specializations for the Inquisitor becomes available. Completing this operation unlocks the specialization quests. Three potential trainers will arrive at Skyhold for the Inquisitor to choose one specialization. Commander Helaine teaches the Knight-Enchanter specialization.
Knight-Enchanters learn to manifest their will as a physical blade, but first they craft a hilt. It must be as sturdy and powerful, for within is bound a willing spirit that will weave mana into a blade that can wink in and out of existence and never break. It may not be the weapon they will fight with afterward, but its construction teaches them much.
Gather the following materials:
- Writing on Knight-Enchanter methods
- Wisp Essence
Writing on Knight-Enchanter methods can be obtained from the table near Vivienne in Skyhold or from merchant Willvan (same room as Merchant) in southern Val Royeaux. Reading the writing unlocks Codex entry: Way of the Knight-Enchanter.Wisp Essence can be looted from pure wisps in the Fallow Mire regions of Old Thoroughfare, the Weeping Spires, and Granite Point. They can also drop from wraiths encountered at rifts. With The Short List Inquisition perk, there is a chance that Barnabus in Val Royeaux will have an infinite number of Wisp Essence for
The lazurite can be:
- gathered in the Western Approach, Exalted Plains, and the Hissing Wastes
- obtained by completing the repeatable war table operation Hissing Wastes Resources with Cullen or Josephine
- purchased from the Emporium's Crafting Materials store for 000000008484 each (infinite amount) (requires The Black Emporium DLC)
Craft the item "Spirit Blade Hilt" at any requisition table and bring it to Commander Helaine to complete the quest and learn the Knight-Enchanter specialization.
Choosing the specialisation yields
- 512 XP
- 200 Influence
- 2 Power
- All three specialization quests can be active at the same time; however, only one specialization can be chosen.
- Solas has some nifty insight and history for Knight-Enchanters.