- Can be looted after closing Fade rifts in the Frostback Basin (5-9).
- 4 deposits can be found across the Frostback Basin (5-9) - See Gallery
- Can be looted off a dead Qunari soldier in "The Grand Stairway" section of the Deep Roads (22).
- Found in both the Jaws of Hakkon and Trespasser DLCs for Dragon Age: Inquisition.
- Veil Quartz deposits can only be seen and acquired with the light of a Veilfire torch.
- The full tooltip says "staff damage type: fire" yet on the right when crafting a staff it says electricity damage.
Looting exploit Edit
Veil Quartz can be farmed by using a variation of the chest exploit.
- Go to a deposit in Frostback Basin.
- Move down so you are looting the Veil Quartz and not the loot all option.
- Press the Loot and Cancel button (X + O for PS / A + B for Xbox / F + Esc for PC) at the same time. The Veil Quartz will then be looted, but the game won't tell you. Look in your inventory to make sure that it was looted.
- Do not loot again if successful and option to loot is available. Do not save the game, as loading that save will empty the container.
- Use the map to travel to another location then come back and repeat.
Veil Quartz can also be farmed from the sealed rifts in the Basin. When looting the rift remains, simply leave one item. Travel to another location in Thedas and then return to the Basin. The loot in the pile will be replenished. Although this technique can be used with any rift pile that has more than one item, the piles in the Basin are much richer and always include veil quartz. Also, this is one farming method that works on all platforms, including PC.
- Some report that applying Veil Quartz as the main element to a crafted staff causes a bug when attacking, where, when attacking with the weapon it will make no sound.[confirmation needed]