- “Spirit born of wood and stone and air, you were created to protect those now dead. You have failed in your duty.” ―Lienne
Varterral is a huge spider-like creature that stands on five massive legs and can move at surprising speed.
According to the Dalish, the first varterral was created in the days before Arlathan. A high dragon attacked a mountain city beloved by Dirthamen, and the elven god fashioned the fallen trees of the forest into a deadly guardian that drove back the serpent. Elves tell that the varterral has kept its vigil ever since, even over the ruins. They also say that if magically bound to guard something, a varterral will stay alive no matter how many times it is defeated, a lot like a golem.
Varterrals thrive in secluded places and hunt elk and bears. They have a rocky carapace, attack with fast strikes and spit caustic poison. At least some of them have no eyes and thus are completely blind, which is offset by the ability to feel movements through the ground like a snake and, according to Felassan, to taste the guilt of intruders. Only dragons challenge the beasts, and even they seldom win.
In theory, varterrals should never attack an elf, whom they discern by the scent, save in self-defense. Yet the creatures encountered so far lashed out at anyone regardless of the race.
Witch Hunt Edit
Dragon Age II Edit
Dragon Age: The Masked Empire Edit
- This is the first creature for Dragon Age II to be described on BioWare's site, and one appears in the Destiny trailer.
- Although they are never referred as such in game, the BioWare website and concept art refer to the beasts as "Striders".
- When you are trying to kill the Varterral in Dragon Age II, it may get stuck under the big boulder near the exit passageway stopping you from getting any loot.
Codex entries EditCodex entry: The Varterral Codex entry: Varterral
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Codex entry: Varterral
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 174
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Game Master's Guide, set 3, p. 33-34
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Dragon Age: The Masked Empire, Chapter 16
- ↑ According to Merrill during A Murder of Crows.
- ↑ Game Banshee