The thaig lies beneath the Hinterlands and in ancient times the dwarves used it as a trade post until it fell to the darkspawn horde. The uppermost layer of soil has since collapsed, leaving the thaig open to the surface and creating a massive waterfall as well as allowing trees and other flora to grow within. As in Orzammar, the settlement is designed in a series of tiers.
Bianca Davri discovered red lyrium growing in Valammar and realized its corruption. Her research led her to Larius or Janeka, (depending with whom Hawke sided during Legacy) while seeking a Grey Warden mage. She then gave to Larius/Janeka the key to the lyrium mine unaware that the Grey Warden was in fact an ancient corrupted magister. After the outbreak of the Mage-Templar War, through the Elder One, the information of the mine and the key were passed to the Carta dwarves who realized that they could make lots of money mining the lyrium directly themselves instead of smuggling it from Orzammar which involved many intermediaries and thus much smaller profit margins. To keep the mining operation secret they hired mercenaries to further destabilize the Hinterlands and keep the refugees away.
However despite Carta efforts the thaig is not completely secured because they do not have enough numbers. The darkspawn are still abundant in the lower levels and frequently reach the upper levels through the numerous chasms or directly by assaulting a bridge which the dwarves have barricaded.Acting on a tip from Bianca Davri, Varric Tethras and the Inquisitor may enter Valammar to eliminate the Carta presence and stop the mining operations.
- Dwarven Banner - Located in a container in Valammar Vaults (Can be also obtained in "The Canyon Tomb" in Hissing Wastes)
Notable items EditBianca Arms III
+15% Critical Damage Bonus - Found in "The Vaults"
Darkspawn Shield Schematic
Damage: 4 Metal
Defense: 6 Leather
Defense: 3 Metal
Masterwork: 1 Masterwork - In a locked room
Pitch Grenade Recipe
Explodes into a puddle that slows enemies.
- In a chest behind a bashable wall in the "Upper Terrace"
Codex entries Edit
Note texts Edit
- It is advisable to have at least one rogue, one warrior and one mage in your party as there are walls to be bashed, locks to be picked, and a barrier to the entrance of a darkspawn cave to be dispelled.
- If the Inquisitor comes here for one quest and makes changes to the environment such as bashing a hole in the wall or opening the vault doors, these changes will still be present when they return for another quest. However, loot containers will restock and creatures will respawn.
- ↑ Note: Defaced Carta Notice
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Note: Carta Note on Security
- ↑ Codex entry: An Unsigned Letter in the Hinterlands
- ↑ Codex entry: A Letter from the Carta
- ↑ Since the Inquisitor has to seal chasms with magic which had been previously patched by the Carta.