Thy Brother's Killer is a quest received from The Mages' Collective Quest Board at Lake Calenhad Docks. The Collective would appreciate the efforts of any hardened individual in dealing with a group of maleficarum who are responsible for the death of one of their own.
When you first enter the area, 2 ogres will be near the tombstone. Kill them both, then exit and reenter the map. When you return to the tombstone, the 4 maleficarum (2 Normal and 2 Lieutenants) will be present, standing around an altar.
The maleficarum are challenging enemies, able to use the following at level 14:
Note: Only one maleficarum can use Blood Magic abilities. Maleficarum also like to synchronise their spells: for instance, two of them might cast Chain Lightning or Misdirection Hex together, while the other uses Weakness or Cone of Cold.
The fight will only start after you talk to them. Characters with the Stealing skill may wish to pickpocket them all first.
Mana Clash makes the fight trivially easy - one hit is enough.
If you do not have this useful anti-mage spell, use some kind of long-term AoE spell on them, save, possibly quick-load to reset cooldown times and only THEN talk. Paralysis Explosion is particularly good in this instance, preventing 3 of them from doing anything to you for a considerable amount of time. (The mage you talk to will never be affected). Given their high number of spells, casting Glyph of Neutralization afterwards would certainly be worth it, preventing 1-2 of them from spellcasting. Of course, other anti-mana abilities would be as useful as ever in this situation. If your party has neither, then spread the party members out to minimise the effect of AoE spells cast at them.
An alternative strategy Edit
Playing on Nightmare, this fight can be very easy:
- The moment the fight starts, pause the game.
- Set party members with the Poison-Making skill to throw Shock Bombs (which drain mana in addition to health) or other grenades into the midst of the four maleficarum.
- Release the grenades and instantly re-pause the fight.
- Switch to Alistair and have him target the four maleficarum with Holy Smite.
- Unpause the game and let these two effects devastate the four mages.
- Pause the fight again.
These two attacks can kill one of the two Normal-ranked mages outright and leave the other three mages heavily damaged and low on mana.
- Assess the damage of the remaining enemies, and set your entire crew to dispatch the one with the lowest health.
- As they are standing up (Holy Smite will have blown them off their feet), run Morrigan into the midst of them and cast Mind Blast. This will keep the other mages from casting at you while you take them down.
As of patch 1.04 the bug that caused the maleficarum not to appear in the PC version of the game seems to have been fixed. However, just to be safe, clear out the ogres before taking Wynne into the area. If they do bug, causing Aneirin to spawn will fix it.
Inscribed Leather (Tier 6)
+20% spirit damage from one of the dead maleficar.
Gold Silver Bronze
, 2 and 175 XP from any of the Collective's representative.