Thedas is a continent in the southern hemisphere, and the only known continent of the Dragon Age universe, upon which all of the Dragon Age games are set. It is presumed that there are other continents, as the Qunari do not originally come from Thedas but from an unknown land across the Northern Ocean. According to some sources, the humans also came from the north.
The word "Thedas" originates from Tevene, once referring to all lands beyond the Imperium and eventually, it came to encompass the entire continent. A native of Thedas is referred to as a Thedosian.
- Antiva — a kingdom in eastern Thedas.
- Elvhenan — the ancient elven country.
- Estwatch — an island stronghold.
- Ferelden — a kingdom in southeastern Thedas.
- Nevarra — a kingdom in central Thedas.
- Orlais — an empire in southwestern Thedas.
- Par Vollen — an island in northeastern Thedas controlled by the Qunari.
- Rivain — a kingdom in northeastern Thedas.
- Seheron — an island in northern Thedas.
- Tevinter Imperium — a country in northern Thedas.
- The Anderfels — a kingdom in northwestern Thedas.
- The Free Marches — a confederation of city-states in eastern Thedas.
Beyond the Korcari Wilds to the south is a frozen wasteland that only the Chasind Wilders have explored. There's also land further west, although the Hunterhorn Mountains inhibit travel—as do the jungles of Donarks in the northwest. Par Vollen lies to the north, much closer to the equator.
The are two oceans which surround Thedas. Boeric Ocean is located in the north. An archipelago lies inside, with Seheron being the largest of these islands. To the east lies the Amaranthine Ocean.
There are six seas, the Waking Sea which stretches between Orlais, the Free Marches and Ferelden. The Venefication Sea is located above Rivain and beneath Par Vollen and is between the Boeric and Amaranthine Oceans. The Nocen Sea is stretched around Tevinter. The Frozen Seas are expanded in the southeast of Ferelden. Colean Sea is between Anderfels and Seheron. Volca Sea is in the west of Anderfels and the Donarks. The major lakes in Thedas are the following; Lake Calenhad, also the largest in Thedas, Lake Celestine and the Sulfur Lakes.
There are several rivers in Thedas as well.
As the dwarves have opened passages and expanded on the underground of Thedas for millennium, the Deep Roads span in the length and breadth of Thedas which connect their thaigs. The four major kingdoms of the dwarves are the following:
- Kal-Sharok — located deep beneath the Hunterhorn Mountains.
- Orzammar — located beneath the Frostback Mountains.
- Thedas has two moons, the secondary moon being named Satina (from whence the holiday of Satinalia gets its name).
- According to David Gaider, there is no individual name for the planet where Thedas exists, as most Thedosians consider Thedas "the entire world".
- Time-telling in Thedas is an inexact science. Dwarven clocks are thus uncommon but notable.
- The name was originally an acronym used on the BioWare Dragon Age forums. It stands for "THE" "D"ragon "A"ge "S"etting.
See also Edit
- ↑ As the weather of its nations seems to get warmer the farther north one goes.
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 11
- ↑ David Gaider (2013). "Qunari race name" . BioWare Social Network.
- ↑ David Gaider twitter