Thedas is a continent in the southern hemisphere, and the only known continent of the Dragon Age universe, upon which all of the Dragon Age games are set. It is presumed that there are other continents, as the Qunari do not originally come from Thedas but from an unknown land across the Northern Ocean. According to some sources, humans also came from the north.
The word "Thedas" originates from Tevene, once referring to all lands beyond the Imperium and eventually, it came to encompass the entire continent. A native of Thedas is referred to as a Thedosian. South of the continent's Korcari Wilds lies the mysterious Sunless Lands.
- Anderfels — a kingdom in northwestern Thedas
- Antiva — a kingdom in eastern Thedas
- Elvhenan — the ancient elven kingdom
- Estwatch — an island stronghold
- Ferelden — a kingdom in southeastern Thedas
- Free Marches — a confederation of city-states in eastern Thedas
- Nevarra — a kingdom in central Thedas
- Orlais — an empire in southwestern Thedas
- Par Vollen — an island in northeastern Thedas controlled by the Qunari
- Rivain — a kingdom in northeastern Thedas
- Seheron — an island in northern Thedas
- Tevinter Imperium — a country in northern Thedas
Oceans and seas Edit
- Amaranthine Ocean — in the east
- Boeric Ocean — in the north, surrounding Par Vollen and the Seheron archipelago
- Colean Sea — between the Anderfels and Seheron
- The Frozen Seas — southeast of Ferelden
- Nocen Sea — north of Tevinter Imperium, including the Ventosus Straits
- Sundered Sea — on the southwestern edge of Orlais
- Venefication Sea — between Rivain and Par Vollen, including the Northern Passage leading to the Amaranthine Ocean
- Volca Sea — west of the Anderfels
- Waking Sea — between Ferelden, Orlais, and the Free Marches
- Lake Calenhad — in Ferelden, also the largest in Thedas
- Lake Celestine — in the Heartlands of Orlais
- Lake Luthias — a small lake south of Lake Calenhad
- The Sulfur Lakes — south of Orlais
- Main article: Rivers
- Arl Dumat — a volcano between the Hunterhorn Mountains and Gamordan Peaks
- Mount Daverus
- Frostback Mountains — separating Ferelden from Orlais
- Gamordan Peaks — in southwestern Orlais
- Hunterhorn Mountains — in western Orlais and between Orlais and the Anderfels
- Vimmark Mountains — in the southern Free Marches
- The White Spire — in Antiva
- Unnamed mountain range in the Tevinter Imperium's east
- Unnamed mountain range in eastern Rivain
- Arbor Wilds — in southern Orlais
- Arlathan Forest — in the Tevinter Imperium's far east
- Brecilian Forest — in eastern Ferelden
- The Donarks — a jungle north of the Anderfels
- Korcari Wilds — in southern Ferelden
- Planasene Forest — in the southwestern Free Marches
- The Tirashan — in western Orlais
As the dwarves have expanded the underground of Thedas for millennium with their formerly sprawling empire of countless thaigs, the Deep Roads therefore span the length and breadth of Thedas which connect their thaigs. The last four major kingdoms of the dwarves are the following, though only two still are inhabited:
- Gundaar (lost)
- Hormak (lost)
- Kal-Sharok — located deep beneath the Hunterhorn Mountains (inhabited)
- Orzammar — located beneath the Frostback Mountains (inhabited)
Beyond Thedas Edit
Few details are available concerning the lands that lie beyond the boundaries of Thedas.
- Beyond the Korcari Wilds and Arbor Wilds to the south there is a frozen wasteland called the Sunless Lands that only the Chasind Wilders have explored.
- There is also land further west, although the Hunterhorn Mountains inhibit travel, as do the jungles of the Donarks in the northwest.
- It is also known that the Qunari came from an eastern land across the Northern Ocean.
- Thedas has two moons, the secondary moon being named Satina (from whence the holiday of Satinalia gets its name).
- According to David Gaider, there is no individual name for the planet where Thedas exists, as most Thedosians consider Thedas "the entire world".
- Time-telling in Thedas is an inexact science. Dwarven clocks are thus uncommon but notable.
- The name was originally an acronym used on the BioWare Dragon Age forums. It stands for "THE" "D"ragon "A"ge "S"etting.
See also Edit
- Explore the Map in Dragon Age official site
- Sexuality and marriage in Thedas
- History of Blights in Thedas
- ↑ As the weather of its nations seems to get warmer the farther north one goes.
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 11
- ↑ David Gaider (17 September 2014). The Bittersweetest Thing. Tumblr.
- ↑ David Gaider (19 August, 2014). The Bittersweetest Thing. Tumblr.
- ↑ Mentioned as the location of the Urn of Sacred Ashes by the swindler in the Dragon Age II quest Miracle Makers.
- ↑ David Gaider (2013). "Qunari race name" . BioWare Social Network.
- ↑ David Gaider twitter