Wending Wood Edit
When you enter the Wending Wood there will be a cinematic sequence showing some bandits rummaging through a wagon, who will spot you and run away. At this point you will be given the quest Trading Troubles if you did not pick it up from Mervis. On a crate nearby there is a note containing Codex entry: Orders to the Militia. As you explore the area there will be a wooden bridge. Crossing the bridge will trigger a cinematic where a scared militiaman is running away from an elf, Velanna. She gives you a warning before disappearing. In an encampment with four shallow graves, there are weapons strewn about the place implicating the humans in the Dalish elves' demise.
Further into the wood, you meet a dying militiaman who explains the situation about Velanna. Velanna is burning all the caravans that pass through the wood, falsely believing that humans, and not darkspawn, were responsible for her sister's disappearance. Eventually you pursue her and can either kill her for her crimes, let her go to find the darkspawn which captured her sister or convince Velanna that you will aid her in the search for her sister. Upon recruiting her, you can net up to (+10) from her.
Other points of interest in the Wending Wood include: a dead scholar with the Codex entry: A Scholar's Journal, which leads to the puzzle Wending Wood stone puzzle; close to the puzzle you will find The Old One who drops Heartwood for the quest Heart of the Forest; there are also statues for the quest Maferath's Monuments; the Brothers of Stone; Ines the Botanist is also located here; the granite deposit is located here; and scattered about the place are the silks for The Merchant's Goods.
Silverite Mine Edit
Immediately on the stairs there is a Codex entry: A Miner's Letter. When the Warden steps onto the centre of the big circle on the floor, a cutscene will trigger in which the Architect will make an appearance, and puts the party to sleep. The Warden stirs long enough to hear the Architect apologize for what it is about to do, and then the Warden falls unconscious again. Shortly afterwards, the party will wake up in a jail cell without any equipment (all your equipment, potions and the rest of your inventory should be gone now; if some items are still present, something is wrong--see Bugs section below). Velanna's sister, Seranni, will open the cell door and may give you the key to the Architect's chests in his room if a successful persuasion attempt is made (Master Coercion skill is required). Also, no matter what conversation thread you choose, you will get a (+2) from Velanna after talking to her sister.
As the party leaves the cell, 3 darkspawn appear from the Architect's Lab, one of whom holds the Holding Cell Key. Despite having no equipment or weapons, your party can still overwhelm these darkspawn. Heading into the Architect's Lab will yield: Codex entry: The Architect's Journal and Codex entry: The Architect's Notes, and also a small puzzle with two control levers that are used to clear the gas from the chest below. The puzzle is simple: pull the left lever once, then pull the right lever, then pull the left lever, then the right lever one last time. This clears the magical ward from the cell door paving the way to the chest containing Dragonspite and the Blackblade Tunic.The exit is in the opposite direction of the Architect's Lab. As the party exits through the double doors, the next room contains a statue in the center and a Ballista on the left. Using the ballista will topple the statue on top of most of the darkspawn below.
In the next room on the right there is a dying Warden, Keenan, who grants the quest Last Wishes. He will remember the Warden-Commander if they are Orlesian. If Velanna and/or Nathaniel are in your party, you have a chance to earn/lose approval, depending on what you say to Keenan. See the Last Wishes entry for further details.
Further through the mine there will be another room with a large amount of darkspawn and another Experimental Subject wearing a party member's gear (provided that you have companions with you). In this room you also find the Spyglass on a soldier's corpse.
Further down the mine, amongst some darkspawn and dragonlings are the last two Experimental Subjects here (due to a bug, there may only be one. See Bugs section below). There will also be a Silverite Ore deposit for the quest Elemental Requirements. Straight ahead and to the left is the Hurlock Dragon-Tamer with the Leg-Crusher maul who maimed Keenan, and also the Fresh Dragon Egg for the quest Worked to the Bone.
Heading back out the way you came there is a lyrium deposit with more Lyrium Sand for the quest Bombs Away! Continuing further into the mine, the next encounter is with a Genlock necromancer who will summon some skeletons, another Drake, and a large group of darkspawn. At some point the Warden will come across the Architect's room with a chest that Seranni's key will fit into. This chest contains Ring of Discipline. The desk contains a letter: Codex entry: A Letter from the Architect.
In the next room through the double doors are some stairs with Armaas at the top. He is a merchant who can be recruited for the quest Trade Must Flow. Since you cannot re-enter the Silverite Mines once this main quest is complete, it is best to recruit him now. Armaas can also act as a temporary merchant in the Silverite Mine. Furthermore, he can also be persuaded to give you a discount on whatever you need to trade (the persuasion requires no Coercion skills). There is a chest next to Armaas which should have the rest of the party's gear such as potions, injury kits, etc. Remember, you can sell your excess items to Armaas should you have too much after getting your stuff back.
Heading through the next two sets of double doors will lead to the final battle of the Silverite Mine. As you enter, two Dragon thralls will confront you (see the Bugs section down below, concerning these Dragon thralls). After defeating the dragons, the Architect will escape the mines along with Utha and Seranni, while blocking the path behind him. Velanna will also ask to join the Grey Wardens and should you choose to allow her, you will get the quest Velanna's Joining.
- The Righteous Path is concluded.
- Trade continues through the Wending Wood.
- Velanna may be inducted into the Grey Wardens.
- The Architect is revealed.
- Armaas may be recruited to trade at the keep.
- Justice disapproves (-10) of Velanna escaping justice by joining the Grey Wardens.
- Oghren disapproves (-3) when you first recruit Velanna (before you go into the mines)
- Anders approves (+2) when you allow Velanna to become a Grey Warden
- Sigrun approves (+3) when you allow Velanna to become a Grey Warden
Other concurrent quests Edit
There are also a few other quests here that can be started, continued or completed at the same time.
- Brothers of Stone
- Ines the Botanist
- The Merchant's Goods
- Maferath's Monuments
- From the Living Wood
- Last Wishes
- Heart of the Forest
- Velanna's Joining
- Bombs Away!
- Elemental Requirements
- What is Built Endures
- Trade Must Flow
Notable items Edit
High Dragon Hide (Tier 9)
+10% ranged critical chance
+10% melee critical chance
Volcanic Aurum (Tier 9)
Requires: 48 strength
Strength modifier: 1.00
+30% electricity resistance
+15 physical resistance
Dragonwing (Tier 8)
+10% electric resistance
+20% electricity damage
White Steel (Tier 8)
Requires: 42 strength
Critical chance: 0.85%
Armor penetration: 15.75
Strength modifier: 1.25
+5% melee critical chance
Chance to reduce movement speed
A master without discipline is no master at all.
When equipped with the Ring of Mastery, the character gains a bonus to constitution.
Vhenadahl (Tier 8)
Requires: 34 dexterity
Critical chance: 1.70%
Armor penetration: 7.50
Strength modifier: 1.00
+20 damage vs. dragons
High Dragon Hide (Tier 9)
+40% fire resistance
+20% cold resistance
+0.5 stamina regeneration in combat
+5% critical/backstab damage
+8% spell resistance
Set: +X armor
Set: -10% fatigue *see notes
A newly laid dragon's egg.
A large piece of wood found in the core of a mighty sylvan.
- Some conditions may cause the main character's equipment to vanish completely after being captured by the Architect in the Silverite Mine. This could happen if the Experimental subject, who would have been wearing your equipment, does not satisfy the requirements to wear your gear. You will know if the bug has occurred because the Warden will wake up in prison naked while the rest of the party will be in commoner clothing and your non-equipped inventory will still be present. The only possible fix is to reload to a previous savegame and remove all your wearable gear before the Architect puts you to sleep. Your gear will be waiting in the chest beside Armaas.
- In particular, if a character is an Arcane Warrior using the passive ability of Combat Magic to wear gear, the Experimental subject may not be able to. The Experimental subject appears to be automatically leveled and need not have the same exact spells as the player. In this case, simply removing the gear that requires Combat Magic should avoid the bug.
- If the bug occurs, there will be only one Experimental Subject in the room with the silverite deposit, as the one that should have been wearing the Warden's armor will not appear.
- If Velanna is recruited and not in the party during the Silverite Mine quest, a number of anomalies can occur. It is recommended that she be present during this part of the quest.
- Possible bug with spawning the Blackblade Armor pieces. Gloves and boots may not be appearing in the mine as intended (to fix this issue, see this )
- After battle with dragons it is possible to initiate dialog with The Architect. This will result in restarting cutscene where you arrive to the mines and losing your gear again without any way to get it back.
- There is a chance that after entering mines all unequipped items will remain. No negative effect noticed.
- If you have Morrigan's Ring equipped before the first encounter with the Architect, the ring will not be on the experimental subject that has the rest of your gear but in the 'loot' chest along with your miscellaneous items.