The romance doesn't officially begin until after you've completed Dorian's personal plot, Last Resort of Good Men. Indicate your intentions to Dorian at the end of this quest or during a conversation at Skyhold. Once the romance has begun, go downstairs to Solas' quarters and you'll receive a message from Leliana, initiating Dorian's romance plot, The Magister's Birthright. But be careful when completing this quest, for killing Ponchard ends not only the quest but also your romance with Dorian.
Before leaving Skyhold, you may optionally choose to ask Dorian about the amulet and its significance. He will tell you to leave the matter be, but this does not prevent the Inquisitor from proceeding, with or without him in your party. Whether or not you spoke to him about the amulet before retrieving it slightly changes some dialogue in the cutscenes.
Head to Val Royeaux. Ponchard can be found in an alcove next to the merchant store just south of the city entrance on the ground floor.
Approach Ponchard to discover that he is well aware of Dorian's ties to the Inquisition, and will only exchange the amulet if the Inquisitor agrees to use their influence to get him into the Celestine League. If Dorian is present in the party, he will be vocally frustrated and angry that the Inquisitor is pursuing this instead of letting him deal with his own personal business, but actual approval changes will only occur if the Inquisitor chooses to intimidate Ponchard during the conversation. Intimidation garners slight disapproval, and does not need to be followed through.
- You have three options to progress:
- Agree to Ponchard's terms, which unlocks the Help Ponchard de Lieux operation war table operation.
- If you agree to Ponchard's terms: Return to Skyhold and complete the Help Ponchard de Lieux operation at the war table. Upon completion of the operation, the amulet will be acquired. Speak to Dorian at Skyhold to complete the quest. Agreeing to Ponchard's demands will result in
- Intimidate Ponchard
- Kill Ponchard (only available after attempting to intimidate him).
- If you kill Ponchard: You will not acquire the amulet. Return to Skyhold. Dorian will not be impressed and any existing romance will end.
If Dorian was in the party and the amulet is acquired after the cutscene with Ponchard, you will automatically return to Skyhold and enter the cutscene with Dorian. If he wasn't in the party and you acquire the amulet, you remain in Val Royeaux and may return to Skyhold and speak to Dorian at your leisure to give him the amulet.
- No approval changes or rewards upon completion.
Dorian Greatly Approves at the end of cutscene if you chose the dialoage options I could afford it & Let them speak, this happened by asking Dorian about the amulet at the beginning of the quest & going without Dorian to Val Royeaux.
If the Inquisitor is romancing Dorian and has taken him along to Val Royeaux, the Inquisitor shoots a look at Dorian when Dorian tries to correct Ponchard on their status as friends.
For a male mage Trevelyan, the option to use Nobility Knowledge when intimidating Ponchard did not appear.