The Lost Hounds can be started by talking to the hunter marked by a plot point in the Western part of the Hunting Grounds. He is calling for two dogs and asks you to keep an eye out for them. Upon accepting the quest, it is suggested that you focus on The Master's Salve first.
You will find upon entering the Eastern part of the Hunting Grounds, that there is another plot point not far ahead. Grab the winterberry towards the water next to the chest with the potions and head towards the plot point. Approaching it will show the hunter's dog, Sylvain, and that it wants you to follow him. It will lead you through a clearing with ghast nests. Following Sylvain a bit more will lead to the hunter's other poisoned dog.
- The first dialogue option is to leave the poisoned dog. If you do this, then you can return to the hunter and inform him about his poisoned hound. He will thank you and leave in order to find help, ending the quest without any reward.
- The second dialogue option, however, is available only if you have already completed The Master's Salve which will allow you to use the salve on the dog. If you pick that option, the hunter will thank you and reward you for saving his hound.
- The third dialogue option is to kill it. If you do this, there are two possible outcomes. You can lie and tell the hunter that it was killed by a wyvern, or you tried your best but you couldn't save it. Both options will end the quest without any reward. You can tell the hunter that you put it out of its misery which will cause the hunter and the remaining mabari to attack you.
If you leave the dog without doing anything and tell the hunter :
- 150 XP(quest completion), no money or fight or item
If you use the salve on the dog, the hunter will give you:
- 300 XP (using salve on dog) and 900 XP (quest completion)
- The Houndmaster's Shortbow
Damage: 150 nature damage
(141 per second)
2.5% chance to infect with walking bomb
If you kill the dog :
- No XP for telling the Hunter the truth or lying
- (Optional) XP and possible random loot from the fight