- “The Hanged Man - sometimes you want to go where everyone knows your name.” ―Isabela
The Hanged Man is a major tavern in Kirkwall and the only one accessible to Hawke; it is a popular destination for all people, strangers or residents. The interior consists of one main room and four bedrooms, with an opulent suite currently occupied by Varric. The inhabitants of the tavern will vary, depending on what quests are active and progress through the main plot. Varric seems very interested in owning the tavern.
The tavern got its name because people used to be hanged by their feet at the spot, as Varric explains to Fenris in a party dialogue.
Act 1EditFools Rush In Finders Keepers A Business Discussion Isabela's Contact Secret Rendezvous Shawl of Dalesdottir Night Lies Pier Pressure Sharp Little Pinpricks
Act 2EditVarric's Apology The Tethras Signet Ring A Story Being Told/A Rumor Making the Rounds Plans for the Future An Update Friendly Concern Isabela's Apology Isabela's Ongoing Search A Ship for Isabela Questioning Beliefs The Long Road Waxler's Hat How to Frame a Templar Hometown Breed Ladies' Lights Out The Lowdown
Act 3EditOn the Loose The Storm and what Came Before It A Small Problem Closure An Anniversary A Rivaini Talisman Questioning Beliefs No Rest for the Wicked Isabela's Regret No Rest for the Wicked Haunted Alone The Last Holdouts Red Run Streets Kind of Want Reining It In
- A Friend, appears during the night
- Alistair (if Anora was put on the throne in Dragon Age: Origins and he was exiled)
- Corff the Bartender, bartender and rumors
- Isabela, if she is not in the group
- Maraas, in Act 3
- Martin, former raider and friend of Isabela, involved in the quest Finders Keepers
- Norah, the waitress
- Patron/Drunk Patron
- Ser Roderick
- Suspicious Lady, starts the quest Secret Rendezvous
- Talkative man, a character who breaks the fourth wall
- Varric Tethras, if he is not in the group
Codex entries EditCodex entry: Rivain, Act 1 or 2 Codex entry: History of Kirkwall: Chapter 1, Act 1 Codex entry: Maleficarum, Act 1
- If you order 30 (doesn't have to be in same visit) drinks at the bar, whenever you enter the bar after that, the patrons will all shout "HAWKE!" This is a reference to the television series Cheers, in which all the patrons would shout "NORM!" whenever he would enter the pub.
- Additionally, Isabela comments, when passing the tavern, that "sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name." This is a reference to Cheers's theme song.
- The tarot card "The Hanged Man" is often depicted in a motif similar to the tavern's signage in front of and behind the building, as well as the loading screen fresco.
- When talking to the patron closest to the exit, he will mention that Varric told a story of you escaping the Blight on the back of a giant turtle. This is a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean movies, whenever a character escapes off-screen such as The Guard Dog, Jack, Will and others will say it was "Sea Turtles."
- On the wall next to where Isabela stands a hanging picture can be seen of concept art for Oghren.
- According to a loading screen, the tavern's feature dish is stew, made from a different mystery meat every morning.
- The Pig Oat Mash, also called the Hanged Mash, is always served there and is allegedly a hangover cure when accompanied by brandy-spiked-cider.
- pc There is a graphics bug which causes the party to be superpositioned over each other when they first enter the bar (see gallery). Moving the characters forward independently (using "hold position" for the others) fixes it.