- “Perhaps a poet's soul's in me...
Does that make me a poet tree?”
The Grand Oak is a large talking sapient tree, a sylvan, that lives in the West Brecilian Forest. It is different from the other sylvan trees in that it is not immediately aggressive towards the The Warden, and it can talk. For unknown reasons it only talks in rhymes when speaking. It jokingly suggests that this might be because it was fused with the soul of a poet, and is thus a poet-tree. It does appear to be a little lonely, and its desire for companionship has led him to place tremendous value upon its acorn.
Not much is known about the Grand Oak's background except that it appears to be a spirit that has possessed a tree. It lived in the forest even before the arrival of Witherfang and the werewolves, and did take note of the disappearance of the forest spirit, but has not been around long enough to know why the Veil in the forest has become so weak. However, its guess is that a battle must have occurred in which many of the participants perished in the forest.
It wishes to send the Warden on a quest to retrieve its acorn, which it says it cannot live without. This can be done by trading a book, a ring or a scarf with the Mad Hermit. If the Warden returns the scarf to Athras and receives the Dalish amulet as a reward, then that can also be traded instead. The Grand Oak will reward you for returning its acorn by giving you the Oak Branch. Possessing this branch will allow you to go into the centre of the Brecilian forest. Alternatively, you can choose to attack the Grand Oak to continue Mad Hermit's quest line.
Upon death, the Grand Oak may drop:
- Greater Health Poultice
A skilled herbalist has rendered a variety of medicinal ingredients into this soothing, restorative substance.
- Greater Nature Salve
This thick brown salve makes the user smell like dirt and herbs.
+60% nature resistance for 180 seconds.
- Heavy Plate Armor
Varies (Tier 1-7)
Requires: 22 strength
- If the Warden killed the Grand Oak first before talking to the Mad Hermit in the East Brecilian Forest (not get the option to retrieve the Grand Oak Acorn), be sure to save a Werewolf Pelt. Otherwise, there is no way to make a Magical Werewolf Pelt, which grants passage through the Magical Barrier.
- If the Grand Oak is killed, a group of Darkspawn will take over his clearing.
- "Hrrrrm... what manner of beast be thee that comes before this elder tree?"
- "I wish thee well, my mortal friend. Thou brought my sadness to an end! May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, and thy roots be strong."
- "Ahhhh, yes, I remember thy kind. So brief of life and all but blind to the peril you cause, the lives you take, such chaos is sown within thy wake." (after stating you are human)
- "Ahhh, yes. I remember thee. Long ago, the elves roamed free, their numbers few and passing fast until one eve we saw their last." (after stating you are elven)
- "I do not know, why dost thou not? Thy words seem plain, a mundane lot. Perhaps a poet's soul's in me... Does that make me a poet tree?" (When asked why it only speaks in rhymes)
- "Greetings to thee once again, thou hast not left the forest, then?" (After helping it)
- "It was the elves who planted the seeds, raised the forest, saw to its needs. But that was all...so long ago. That they are dead is all I know." (when asking about elves living in the Brecilian Forest)