Legionnaire Altar found in The Dead Trenches
The Dead Caste is a side quest the can be initiated in the Dead Trenches.
There are evidence that the Legion of the Dead could be connected with the noble House Ferald and should the Warden complete the quest, and thus probable that the Legion will be elevated to minor nobility.
- Five items must be acquired to complete this quest -- all of which are located within the Dead Trenches area of the Deep Roads. Four of the five pieces are different components of the Legion of the Dead Armor, and one is the Dead Caste Insignia. Each piece's number is based on the row that it is found, provided that you start collecting the pieces from the entrance and onwards.
- The Boots of the Legion are in a sarcophagus in the room immediately to the left of the tunnel exit from the first bridge area where the Legionnaires are fighting the darkspawn.
- The Gloves of the Legion are in a sarcophagus in the room containing a fire-breathing dwarven statue trap directly opposite from the boots.
- The Armor of the Legion is in a sarcophagus in the room with the skeletons
- The Helm of the Legion is in the Legionnaire Altar within the Legionnaire Shrine.
- After all four pieces have been acquired, the codex will reveal a location found inside the tunnel leading up to the Broodmother. Obtain the Dead Caste Insignia from the coffin.
- Then return to the Orzammar Shaperate to interact with the "Memories" book on your right-hand side of the shaper (100 Exp).
The Gangue Shade Edit
Donning the entire set of armor is required to initiate the Gangue Shade unmarked quest. It starts by activating the Legion of the Dead Relic which is found in the center of the mausoleum the very room from which the helmet was obtained.
When the entire harness of armor is equipped by any party member, the Gangue shade is summoned, which appears to be a fairly garden-variety shade with a unique name. When defeated it may drop Chainmail. The encounter does not trigger a quest or journal entry, although Codex entry: The Gangue Shade does appear.
- On the pc, if you have a No Helmet mod installed, the game will not register that the full Armor Set is equipped. Use the "No Helm Rulebook" in your inventory to show the helm on whoever is wearing the Legion of the Dead armor set, then click the Relic.