- "We are Couslands, and we do what must be done."
Teyrn of Highever
Bryce Cousland is the Teyrn of Highever making him one of the most powerful nobles in Ferelden. He is the husband of Teyrna Eleanor Cousland, father of Fergus Cousland and also The Warden if he/she is from the Human Noble Origin.
Bryce Cousland is a descendant of Sarim Cousland and is one of only two remaining Teyrns (the other being Teyrn Loghain). During the Orlesian occupation Bryce fought alongside Arl Leonas Bryland of South Reach and Arl Rendon Howe of Amaranthine at the battle of White River, from which only fifty rebel soldiers escaped alive.
|“We now have a dog and Alistair is still the dumbest one in the party.” — Morrigan|
This article contains spoilers for Dragon Age: Origins. Click here to reveal them.
Bryce and Fergus are preparing the armies of Highever to march for Ostagar when Duncan makes an unannounced arrival during his search for new recruits. Arl Howe a long-time friend and ally of Bryce's, is also there waiting for his troops to arrive. After a brief discussion Bryce sends his child off to say goodbye to Fergus, while Duncan, Rendon and Bryce discuss some important matters.
Later, Bryce comes to speak with Fergus before they leave with the bulk of the army. However, during the course of the night Arl Howe's men attack Highever and during the fighting Bryce is badly wounded. Yet, he still attempts to help Ser Gilmore and the remaining guards as he searches for his family. By the time he makes it to the kitchen his wounds overwhelm him. Bryce tries to force his family to escape through the servant's entrance before Howe's men make it any deeper into the castle. Eleanor will not leave and stays with Bryce in his final moments. However Bryce's remaining child escapes as Duncan takes their child to become a Grey Warden.Rescue the Queen, Arl Howe can tell a Human Noble that he made Bryce watch Eleanor kiss his feet before killing them both, then combat starts.
- "Your brother and I ride into battle, not an afternoon tea. Who knows what will happen? I trust you completely to carry on the Cousland name if the worst should happen."
- "A wench is a woman who pours the ale in a tavern, Oren... or, a woman who drinks a lot of ale."
- "Honor, though that might be, this is one of my sons/my daughter you're talking about. I've not so many children that I'll gladly see them all off to battle. Unless you intend to invoke the Right of Conscription?" (rebuttal to Duncan after he states the human noble player character would make a good Warden)
- "We are Couslands and we do what must be done."
- "That's enough, Howe! You speak of our king,"
- "And miss having both my children in the same room at the same time? Not likely."
- "No more must you grieve, my girl/boy. Take the pain and the guilt, acknowledge it, and let go. It is time."
- Teyrn Cousland: "See what I contend with, Howe? You can't tell my fierce girl/boy anything these days, Maker bless her/his heart."
- Arl Howe: "A temperament to match her/his fighting skill! Well done your Lordship."