- “Before them I was nothing. I was a slave. My parents sold me into it. The Qunari gave me refuge, a purpose, and a name: Tallis.”
According to dialogue with Sebastian, she was born in Tevinter, where slavery is legal. In the web series she reveals that she was sold as a slave by her parents and that sometime later, she was taken from the slavers by Qunari and then converted to follow The Qun. The elven viddathari was trained as an agent of Ben-Hassrath by her Qunari mentor, Salit. As one of Ben-Hassrath, she was given the name-title of Tallis, and her mission was "to solve" various issues. Her duties involved travelling to non-Qunari lands where she was tasked with burglaries, heists, and assassinations. However, after failing several missions in a row, she was stripped of the title of Tallis.
The straw that broke the camel's back was her last mission that took place in Orlais where she was tasked with stealing a piece of art. During the heist Tallis found children the Orlesian noble kept as sex slaves. Failing to steal the object without leaving any trace, she was demoted to an "Athlok" - a labourer. She was assigned as a kitchen-hand on a boat docked in Kirkwall, during Arishok's stay in Kirkwall. This sets the story for Dragon Age: Redemption.
Dragon Age: Redemption Edit
Tallis is the main character of Dragon Age: Redemption, a live action six-part web series.
When she is first seen she is working as an Athlok in a ship moored in the docks of Kirkwall. A Qunari informs her that she has been reinstated as Tallis, and must track down a Tal-Vashoth Saarebas who escaped a Chantry prison. She harries an accomplice of the fugitive mage and encounters a Templar named Cairn. The two battle briefly before Tallis finally extracts the needed information from her captive mage, killing him shortly afterwards.
She attempts to intercept her target at a Dalish camp, only to discover that they have been decimated by the Saarebas. She discovers that the Saarebas and his accomplices stole a precious and dangerous elven artifact: Mask of Fen'Harel. Setting out again, she joins forces with Cairn the templar, who is also tracking the Qunari magi; they are joined by the First to the Keeper of the ravaged clan, Josmael.
Tallis locates the Saarebas in a cave, where he uses the blood of Josmael's love to complete part of the Mask of Fen'Harel. Saarebas then escapes and seals the group in the cave, alongside one of his cohorts: a reaver mercenary named Nyree.
Tallis hires Nyree using money she stole from Josmael's clan. The mercenary reveals that the mage is heading to Sundermount, and Josmael offers to show the party a shortcut through the mountains. On their way to the elven ruins, the group rests at an inn. There, they are confronted by a group of thugs hired by the rogue Saarebas.
After defeating the mercenaries, Tallis and Cairn accuse Josmael of leading the group into a trap, after which the templar attempts to kill the elven mage. Nyree rescues Josmael and reveals that Cairn is responsible for the Saarebas' escape in the first place. Tallis demands answers, and Cairn admits to trying to kill the mage for killing his family and destroying their village. Cairn's confession brings the two closer together. They no longer bear any ill will toward Josmael.
They manage to get to Saundermount and decide to wait for the Saarebas. Whilst they wait, Tallis has a conversation with Cairn about their purposes for hunting the mage. He insists that the Saarebas needs to die, and encourages Tallis to abandon the Qun and become a renegade within the Qunari society as he has become one within the Chantry. She then states that doing so would make her a Tal-Vashoth, but Cairn makes her realise that she may in fact already be one. Tallis is repulsed by the idea, but does not resist when Cairn kisses her.
After the Saarebas arrives, Fina, the elven prisoner of the mage, betrays Josmael by alerting the Saarebas of the group's presence. While the group battles, Josmael accidently stabs Fina, completing the ritual and tearing open the Veil. Before the power of The Fade can be completely unleashed however, Tallis shatters the Mask of Fen'Harel, sealing the Veil shut.
In his rage, the Saarebas unleashed a lightning bolt at the elven assasin, but Cairn saves her life by throwing himself in the bolt's path. Tallis collars the mage, and it makes the Qunari powerless. Tallis then spots Cairn's body. The elf decides to honour Cairn's wish and defies her orders and role in the Qun by killing the Saarebas to avenge Cairn.The following day, she buries the dead along with Josmael and Nyree, before saying her farewells. Josmael gives her a broken phylactery that belonged to Cairn, as a keepsake. When Nyree inquires about how the Qunari will react when they discover the Saarebas was killed, Tallis hints that she might defect and become a Tal-Vashoth.
Mark of the Assassin Edit
Tallis is a temporary companion in the Mark of the Assassin DLC. She makes her appearance after foiling an ambush made by the Antivan Crows against Hawke. She then enlists Hawke's help in stealing a jewel called the "Heart of the Many" from an Orlesian noble named Prosper, who she claims has no right to possess the jewel. However, upon infiltrating the Chateau Haine, it becomes apparent that Prosper knows her identity and reveals Tallis' status as a Qunari agent.
While locked in the dungeon, Tallis confesses to Hawke the truth. She was actually trying to stop a Tal-Vashoth named Salit, who recruited her into the Ben-Hassrath, from selling Qunari secrets to Orlais. Though the Ariqun did not feel it worth intervening, Tallis decided to stop Salit of her own volition, knowing that Salit's betrayal will harm many people, not just Qunari.Whether Hawke decides to help Tallis or not, after escaping the dungeons a fight with Prosper ensues. She is able to steal a scroll Salit was handing over to Prosper, which contained information on various Qunari sleeper agents throughout Thedas, even those who have left the Qun, the duke having misunderstood its significance. If the scroll fell into human hands, these agents and everyone they know would be persecuted and killed. Tallis then passes Hawke an actual jewel called the Heart of the Many.
- Main article: Companion armor
There are no upgrades for Where the Heart Lies.
Tallis specific gearKathryn
Requires: Dual Weapon
Damage: 1.6 + 1.68 * LVL physical damage
(2.9 + 3.11 * LVL per second)
+(2.4 + 0.06 * LVL)% critical chance
+(6 + 0.15 * LVL)% critical damage
Improves with level-up Thane
Requires: Dual Weapon
Damage: 1.6 + 1.68 * LVL physical damage
(2.9 + 3.11 * LVL per second)
+Y% attack speed
Improves with level-up
Talent trees EditDual Weapon Sabotage Subterfuge Specialist Scoundrel Infiltrator (specialization)
- Main article: Tallis/Dialogue
- "I may be Qunari but I was raised an elf."
- "He who wishes to walk on water must first learn to swim."
- "You go elbow-deep in wyvern shit and I'm the weird one?"
- "Don't look at me while I do this. (Ungodly cacophony)"
- "It's not always meant to end in violence. There are other paths. They do not all need to lead to the same destination."
- "Doubt is the path one walks to reach faith. To leave the path is to embrace blindness and abandon hope."
- "Past the idea of right and wrong is a field. When the soul lies in that grass the world is in balance... I will meet you there."
- Just as with Sten, "Tallis" is not her name, but her rank. It means "to solve" in Qunari.
- Tallis is the first female qunari (of any race) introduced.
- Although her true allegiance is revealed as a plot twist in Mark of the Assassin, even players who hadn't seen Dragon Age: Redemption could figure out the truth, as the Qunari emblem can be clearly seen on her armor, a fact that Hawke and co. are oblivious to in spite of having seen it before.
- Despite using dual-wield daggers and talents, Tallis' default attack in Dragon Age II is ranged, involving her throwing her daggers.
- If Isabela is in the party, during the final conversation with Tallis, Tallis will claim to have 6 toes on her left foot.
- Back at the Hawke Estate after finishing the DLC, near the statue of Mark of the Assassin, there will be a journal filled by Hawke about their thoughts for Tallis. The content depends on their relationship.
- While the player does have the option to flirt with Tallis (and receive a kiss, depending on the player's choices during the DLC), it will have no effect on any romance they currently have with another character (though if present, all except Isabela express jealousy). Tallis will simply leave by the end of the quest.
- Tallis's daggers Kathryn and Thane are named after her voice actor and alien assassin from Mass Effect 2 respectively.
- She seems to have some history with Leliana.
- The character was created before Dragon Age II revealed that Dalish elves have Welsh or Irish accents and City elves usually have the accent of whatever region they live in. It was decided that Tallis should keep her North American accent, making her one of the few non-dwarven characters to do so.
- In spite of what she hints at the end of Redemption, Tallis, if she was telling the truth about her future, did not become a Tal-Vashoth. If she had, she would never have known about Salit's defection, let alone Ariqun's reaction to it.
See also Edit
- "Faces of Thedas: Tallis", interview by Green Ronin with Felicia Day about Tallis, including a character sheet