22 fire damage
(30 per second)
+13% fire damage
Dragon Age II - Unlockable
—From Codex entry: Staff of Parthalan
Originally, a one-time code for unlocking the Staff of Parthalan in Dragon Age II was distributed via email to those who signed up to receive the BioWare newsletter using a valid EA account. Currently, signing up for the newsletter will automatically unlock the item in the game without having to use a code. Players can sign up for the newsletter to receive the Staff of Parthalan here (now expired).
On December 2012, BioWare sponsored a giveaway of assorted exclusive items, including this, "just in time for the holidays".
- This staff was the first to introduce the concept of a blade for melee purposes, a concept used for many staves in Dragon Age II.
- This staff is being wielded by Hawke on the cover of Dragon Age II as well as the Destiny Trailer.
- In the trailers and arts, Hawke wields the staff with the blade pointed away from his body. In-game, he uses it with the blade pointed towards his back, slashing enemies with it when in close proximity.
- It is also used by Ravi in Dragon Age Legends Remix 01.
- The Staff of Parthalan has two significantly different descriptions of its history: one used in the in-game Codex entry (seen above), and one used on the official Dragon Age II site which links it to Hawke's family history:
- "Magic has always run strongly within the Hawke bloodline. The tales passed down from one generation to the next tell of an ancestor named Parthalan, a mage who long ago helped to unite Ferelden under the rule of King Calenhad. Parthalan eventually vanished into legend, fleeing the persecution of the Chantry, but his legacy remains in the hands of his family - along with his hope that one day, mages would achieve the freedom that King Calenhad intended to bring to all men."
- Hawke also wields this staff in Dragon Age Legends, but he uses it as a 2-handed sword instead of a staff (Hawke is only available if the player has bought Dragon Age II and linked their Facebook account to their EA account)