Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The smith caste is the caste of dwarven society responsible for the means of production and their applied use. Their work is intimately tied to that of the artisan caste as the two castes work in tandem to create armor and weaponry and other items. Artisans ornament the items crafted by the smith caste.
According to legend one of seven dwarven brothers, Orzatyar, forged the first swords and thus founded the Smith Caste.
In the complex web that is dwarven society, the Smiths are responsible for providing the finished goods required by the other castes, such as weapons and armor for the Warrior caste and tools for the Miner caste. Some smiths are also experienced rune crafters. As with the other castes, there are draconian rules governing many aspects of their lives, such as inheritance, marriage, etc. There appears to be some leniency in terms of smiths selling their own merchandise, however. For example, Janar is a smith but he also acts as a merchant and owns a shop, meaning that the Smith caste may be allowed to act as merchants under certain circumstances. Another case is that of Garin, a lyrium-addled smith now acting as a shopkeep in the Orzammar Commons.
Smiths jockey for position amongst others of their caste by displaying their skill and prowess in competitions. Other dwarves delight in buying the displays of craftsmanship these competitions produce. Weaponsmiths, followed by armorers, are the most highly regarded smiths.
During the events of the Fifth Blight, the smith House Turana seems to be one of the leading smith houses as they craft weapons for the royal House Aeducan. The noble House Dace is also known to be an important ally of the Smith caste.
Known members Edit
- Bardin: a runecrafter who fell in love with Mayla, a noblewoman.
- Branka: A Smith caste dwarf who became a Paragon.
- Khern: He became a Grey Warden and fought at Garahel's side during the Fourth Blight. He is also credited for creating superior axes.
- Garin: A smith who also acts as a merchant. His work with raw lyrium while smithing caused him to suffer mild dementia, though his smithing talent, he claims, is undiminished.
- Janar: His family has been of the Smith caste for a hundred generations.
- Dagna: Daughter of Janar.
- Ruck: A smith who escaped into the Deep Roads.
- Filda: Mother of Ruck.
- Teruck: Deceased husband of Filda, father of Ruck.
- Thaulid Hammerspur: A smith featured in the Penny Arcade: Hindsight comic.
Known Smith houses Edit
Houses are listed in an alphabetical order and those whose status is unknown have their name italicized.
- Droplets of molten metal that fall from the forges of the dwarven smiths are often collected and worn for good luck.
See also EditCodex entry: The Castes