Shartan was the leader of the elven slaves who joined Andraste's rebellion against the Tevinter Imperium in around 1020 TE. He was born into captivity, but dreamed of a homeland where the elves could once again be free and encouraged his fellow elven slaves to rise up against their Tevinter masters. Apparently, his followers stole whatever they could find to make weapons and fought with knives of sharpened stone and glass, and with bows made from broken barrels or firewood.
The support he and the elves rendered was rewarded by the creation of a new elven homeland in the Dales. Shartan, however, was killed when Andraste was betrayed and did not live to see it. Though it is not specifically stated, it is likely that Shartan was burned alive by the Tevinters along with Andraste.
- Leliana will speak a little about Shartan if asked if she knows any stories about the Dalish, explaining that he was born into captivity and died when Andraste was betrayed.
- In The Gauntlet, during A Test of Faith quest, the Warden encounters what appears to be the spirit of Shartan, who will ask a riddle and tell of his desire for an elven homeland. The riddle is "I'd neither a guest nor a trespasser be. In this place I belong, that belongs also to me." "Home" is the correct answer to his riddle.
If the Warden answers correctly then the spirit will disappear. Otherwise, they will have to fight an ash wraith.
- "It was my dream for the people to have a home of their own, where we would have no masters but ourselves. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and thus we followed Andraste, against the Imperium. But she was betrayed, and so were we."
- In Dragon Age II, Hawke can find a book written by Shartan which can be gifted to Fenris, one of the Champion's possible companions.
- Hawke can also loot the sword Glandivalis that belonged to Shartan from the pride demon Hybris. Interestingly, Hybris says that he has "fragments of every fool who held a throne, here or in the black."
See also Edit
- Codex entry: Dark Moon
- Codex entry: The Long Walk
- Codex entry: The Dales
- Codex entry: Glandivalis
- Chant of Light: Canticle of Shartan
- Chant of Light Verses: Canticle of Shartan
- ↑ Codex entry: Dark Moon
- ↑ According to Leliana's story about Shartan. Codex entry: The Long Walk confirms Shartan died in the struggle against the Imperium.
- ↑ According to the Dalish version of Codex entry: The Dales, "our heroes died beside her, unmourned, in Tevinter bonfires."
- ↑ Spoken by the spirit of Shartan in The Gauntlet