The Sharps Highwaymen are trying to take over Lowtown at night. Killing the majority of them will reveal the location of their hideout and leader.
Enter the "Hovel", which is in the eastern area of Lowtown at night, then defeat the gang and its leader Ignacio Strand. The overwhelming majority of the enemies will be archers, a few with dual wielding. The boxed in location means that the enemy will be generally ineffective.
Ignacio himself will fight with a bow until attacked, and then will immediately switch to two handed melee combat.
The use of the small "hovel-style" layout (like Gamlen's House) for this battle can work to your advantage, if your party has a tank like Aveline and is proficient in making use of area-of-effect spells and talents. Tempest is an excellent spell to unleash here, since it covers virtually the entire map and will deal no friendly fire damage on Nightmare. Alternatively, Firestorm can keep the initial four archers occupied while the party focuses fire on Ignacio, who fights like an ordinary Elite-ranked assassin. More enemies arrive from the side rooms after enough of the initial wave is eliminated, so it is a good idea to make sure Ignacio is one of them.
Hawke can now walk around Lowtown at night without being ambushed by thugs.
- The Runt's Spiker (dropped by Ignacio Strand)
- Bloody Butcher's Gloves (dropped by Ignacio Strand)
- Lowtown Stompers (dropped by Ignacio Strand)
- Random loot
- 500 XP
- A Friend only appears at night, in the back room of The Hanged Man. She will continue to give out rewards each time the player clears out a band of thugs in the subsequent side quests.
- Like all night time gang quests, several waves of enemies will not appear unless Hawke leaves the area and then returns. Also like all other such quests, the hideout location will be revealed even if 1-2 groups of gang members have not been cleared (so as not to be rendered impossible to complete if another quest NPC is currently blocking a group from spawning in a specific location).