- “The Maker is king in the heavens, but it is the kings of Thedas who must recreate his worldly glory.”
Sebastian Vael, a Chantry Brother and Prince of Starkhaven, is a potential companion in Dragon Age II available through the The Exiled Prince DLC which is included with the Signature Edition. A highly skilled archer from the Vael family; only a female Hawke can pursue a romance with him.
- See also: Sebastian (short story)
The Vaels believed that their youngest son of three, Sebastian, was a disgrace to the family name, and would be a weight around his brothers' necks. They forced him into the Chantry, exiling him from their principality of Starkhaven. While he was not without faith, Sebastian did not wish to give up his life in service to Andraste so early in his existence, and with the aid of the compassionate Grand Cleric Elthina, escaped. Elthina helped him to regain his faith however, and after reflection, Sebastian returned to the Chantry, this time willingly, and through the front door.
Now, Sebastian is forced to re-enter the viper's nest of princely politics when his family is brutally murdered, leaving him as the sole surviving heir.
Banding together with Sebastian and his unshakable loyalty and excellent aim, Hawke must choose to either avenge Sebastian's murdered family to reclaim his title or direct his holy vengeance on their enemies in Kirkwall.
Following the murder of his immediate family, Sebastian has an argument with Grand Cleric Elthina in front of the Kirkwall Chantry in Hightown. In his anger he puts up a notice, promising a reward to whomever kills his family's murderers. The Champion has a choice of accepting Sebastian's quest from the Chanter's Board. After finishing the quest and meeting with Sebastian in the Chantry, Hawke will not see him until three years later.
Once he is met for the second time, Sebastian will join Hawke in full. He has discovered who hired the Flint Company, an old Kirkwall noble family who was once allied with his own, the Harrimans. Sebastian and Hawke discovered that the Desire Demon Allure had corrupted the family, which drove Lady Harimann to be driven by her desires to seize Starkhaven until it was all she could think of. In the aftermath, Sebastian becomes conflicted over whether he should remain in the Chantry or retake Starkhaven.
In 9:37 Dragon, the Divine began to fear that the situation in Kirkwall was growing out of control and that more extreme measures might be warranted, potentially even an Exalted March against the city itself. Sebastian was asked by Elthina, along with Hawke, to meet with Sister Nightingale, the so called "Left Hand of the Divine" and persuade her this was not necessary. Before the rendezvous could take place however, they were attacked by an Mage extremist faction, The Resolutionists. Unable to persuade the Divine's agent, Sebastian attempted to persuade Elthina to go to safety at the Grand Cathedral in Orlais. Elthina refused however, not wishing to abandon Kirkwall during a crisis and so Sebastian resolved to remain as long as Elthina did.
When Anders destroyed the Chantry, killing Elthina and many others, Sebastian demanded Hawke kill Anders or else he would retake Starkhaven and seek vengeance on all of Kirkwall.
If Hawke kills Anders and side with the mages, Sebastian will join, saying that all creatures have the right to redeem themselves in the Void while the others are free to walk with the Maker. He will then vow to stop the "tyranny" of the Templars. Alternatively, siding with the Templars shows that he is eager to end the threat of all "Maleficarum".Sebastian is not mentioned in the epilogue by Varric Tethras unlike other love interests.
Even though a romance can be made with Sebastian, he will never actually sleep with Hawke due to his vow of chastity.
It is possible to win Sebastian's heart if:
- You are playing as a female Hawke.
- You are not in a romance with anyone else. (In other words, don't choose any flirt dialog options with any other character... ever.)
- You have 100% rivalry or 100% friendship and complete all Sebastian's quests.
- You execute Anders.
If you romance him as a rival, he will say that he will take back Starkhaven, saying that he will give Hawke no less than a Prince, and that the marriage between the Viscountess of Kirkwall and the Prince of Starkhaven will be the strongest alliance the Free Marches has ever seen.If you romance him as a friend, he will vow to stay in the Chantry as a brother of the faith, but he will ask Hawke to become a sister of the faith so they can have a chaste marriage in the eyes of the Maker.
Friendship and rivalry Edit
- See the approval page for more information.
Friendship with Sebastian can generally be earned by encouraging him to stay with the Chantry, by siding with the Chantry and the templars and by being helpful to those in need.
Rivalry with Sebastian can generally be earned by pushing him to retake Starkhaven, by siding against the Chantry and by making aggressive, disagreeable or otherwise "dishonorable" choices.
Friendship and rivalry will noticeably affect his demeanor during The Last Straw. While he will follow Hawke no matter which side he chooses as long as his demand is met, the choice to befriend or rival him as well as the side chosen will affect how he views the situation.
As a Friend, his demeanor is much calmer. On the mage side, he will show sympathy for the mages, that the party must help those who have suffered at their, namely the Chantry and by extension the people of Kirkwall's, hands. On the templar side, he will lament that the mages will not rest until they have destroyed the Chantry, and that they must be stopped.As a Rival, his tone is much more hostile to the opposing side. On the mage side, he is more concerned with showing the Chantry that it cannot tolerate tyranny among its templars, rather than the well-being of the mages themselves, that he will worry about them later. On the templar side, he vows revenge on every single mage for the actions of one man.
Mark of the Assassin
- Main article: Gifts (Dragon Age II)
- See Companion armor for a list of all Companion Armor upgrades.
Sebastian's armor upgrades can be found at the following locations:
- Act 2: Reinforced Bracers, purchased at Olaf's Armory in Hightown. +77 attack.
- Act 2: Enhanced Articulation, purchased at Armor Shop in the Gallows Courtyard. Extra Rune Slot.
- Act 2: Mail Undertunic, found in the Harimann Estate during the Repentance quest. +2% critical chance.
- Act 3: Protection of the Faith, found on the Templar Lieutenant in Hightown during the Best Served Cold quest. Extra Rune Slot.
Sebastian specific gear
Damage: 21 physical damage
(20 per second) , Sebastian's starting weapon, requires The Exiled Prince.
Damage: 86 physical damage
(81 per second)
+9 nature damage across 2m, requires The Exiled Prince.
+2 to all attributes
+14% damage resistance
+14% magic resistance
Immunity to knockback
Improves with level-up , requires Rogue Item Pack.
+5-7% critical chance
+12-18% critical damage
+3% attack speed
Improves with level up, requires Rogue Item Pack II.
+(0.2 * DEF(LVL)) defense
+(4 + 0.1 * LVL)% critical damage
+(2 + 0.1 * LVL)% damage resistance, requires Mark of the Assassin.
- Main article: Sebastian Vael/Dialogue
- (To Grand Cleric Elthina) "It is my right, my duty, to show these assassins there's nowhere in the Free Marches to hide."
- "Varric, would but the Maker approve, you and I could be so much more than the best of friends."
- (Said if he is in the party when accepting Justice from Anders) "Huzzah! He's seen the light!"
- (Rivalry goodbye in The Last Straw) "To victory my friend, by any means necessary."
- "The demon didn't lie. I used to be bitterly jealous of my brother. I wanted to be prince. Now everything he had is mine and he lies in ashes. I keep asking myself, do I want this because it's right or simply to have what I never thought I could?"
- "You cannot think the knight-commander is worse than blood mages?"
- "This is why the Chantry instituted the Circle in the first place. Mages need to be protected from themselves."
- "Elthina is risking her life by not deserting her flock. Could I do the same?"
- "Andraste said "the Maker is king in the Heavens but it is the kings of Thedas who must recreate his wordly glory".
- "Who better serves the Maker:a brother of the faith, or a prince who can sway a whole city?"
- "The prince of Starkhaven and the viscountess of Kirkwall? It would be the strongest alliance the Free Marches has ever seen."
- (To Anders questioning the origin of the darkspawn during Legacy) "The Chantry would not make such things up! The story is true, or as true as we can ever known."
- (About Elthina and mages during goodbye in The Last Straw) "She was like a mother to me, to all the brothers and sisters in the Chantry. He never even took a moment to get to know her. But not all of these mages are Anders. We're here to protect those who have suffered unduly at our hands."
- Meredith: "Still... without proof of Orsino's direct involvement, the grand cleric will never believe as I do."
- Sebastian: "Because Her Grace cares for peace, not your mad theories."
- Sebastian was written by Jennifer Hepler.
- Sebastian "Seb" Hanlon, a part of the BioWare team, was at a time assigned to do most of the bug fixing and such for the character. The main reason for this was because of their similar name and it did not please him. The shared name also caused some confusion for Hanlon as every time someone mentioned the character, Hanlon thought they were directing their comments toward him.
- If one is to calculate Sebastian's age from what info he tells about himself, Sebastian says he was thirteen when his grandfather made a promise to give him the Starkhaven Longbow, and he was given to the Chantry some time after this. In Act 3, he states that he hasn't been to Starkhaven in fifteen years. That makes Sebastian's age at least twenty-eight by Act 3.
- David Gaider said that if he could write another Dragon Age comic, it would be dedicated to Bethany. He mentioned that he wanted her to adventure with Sebastian Vael in Starkhaven, and maybe Nathaniel Howe.
- A bug can occur where Sebastian's loyalty bonus will apply as a negative value to Hawke even though he is not in the party. The normal bonus is 5% damage resistance, therefore during the bug it applies as -5% damage resistance. This bug stacks upon each reload of the game with Sebastian in the party adding -5% each time.
- Infinite Friendship of +10 can be earned by talking to Elthina in the Chantry. This must be done before completing Following the Qun. Talking to her about "helping the community" will yield that. Infinite Rivalry can also be obtained the same way, but by choosing the "You're Useless" dialogue option when talking to the Grand Cleric in Act 2. (Does not appear to work on PC or PS3 as of at least patch 1.04)
- A bug can occur in Act 2 and Act 3 when after finishing Repentance or Faith quest Questioning Beliefs won't trigger even if character has required amount of Friendship or Rivalry points. This cannot be prevented and leaves player unable to complete romance with Sebastian.
Codex entries Edit
- ↑ Gaider, David. "The Exiled Prince, Sebastian Vael". BioWare Social Network. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- ↑ Hepler, Jennifer.Bioware, Dragon Age 2 Sebastian Vael; Short Story. Retrieved: 03-02-2011
- ↑ "Addons". BioWare. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- ↑ Gaider, David. "The Exiled Prince, Sebastian Vael". BioWare Social Network. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- ↑ Hanlon, Sebastian. "The Exiled Prince, Sebastian Vael". BioWare Social Network. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- ↑ David Gaider on Tumblr, "On Speculative Flights of Fancy."