In Dragon Age: Inquisition, the Inquisitor of either gender and any race can pursue a romance. Unlike in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II, where it was possible to romance only the companions, Inquisition offers romantic interests for companions as well as non-companions, namely advisors. Inquisition has almost twice the romance options of Dragon Age II and exactly two times the romance options of Dragon Age: Origins. Some romances are restricted by gender and/or race.The Inquisitor is not able to marry their romanced companion due to the chaotic state the world of Thedas is in. A female elven Inquisitor has a total of six romance options, a female human has five, while all other gender/race combinations have four.
Romantic interests Edit
|Male Inquisitor only|
|Cassandra Pentaghast||Dorian Pavus|
|The Hero of Orlais and one of the last loyal Seekers of Truth.||A human Altus mage of the Tevinter Imperium.|
|Female Inquisitor only|
|A Grey Warden of Orlais.||An elven rogue and a member of the Friends of Red Jenny.|
|Male and female Inquisitors|
|Iron Bull||Josephine Montilyet|
|A one-eyed Qunari mercenary and Ben-Hassrath agent.||An Antivan diplomacy advisor.|
|Race specific female Inquisitors only|
|Former Knight-Captain of the Templar Order and the Inquisitor's military advisor. Available to human and elven female Inquisitors only.||An elven apostate expert on the Fade. Available to female elven Inquisitors only.|
The Inquisitor can flirt with any romanceable (and sometimes non-romanceable) character they wish. A single flirt choice in dialogue does not lock the Inquisitor into a romance unless specifically prompted, so any and all available characters may be flirted with throughout the game, if desired. Blackwall is the exception as flirting with him after moving to Skywall softlocks his romance. This can be useful as some flirting dialogue options can result in higher approval.
Once a relationship is initiated, that relationship becomes "locked" and the inquisitor cannot pursue a relationship with another character. Flirting choices with other characters will still appear, along with prompts to begin new relationships. However, in trying to start a new relationship, the new character will reply that they believe the inquisitor is already involved with someone. If wishing to pursue a new relationship, the inquisitor must first end their current one. Once ended, that relationship cannot be begun again.
Other encounters Edit
As well as the fully-fledged romance options, The Inquisitor can engage in brief sexual encounters and flirtations throughout the game.
- Lace Harding can occasionally be flirted with when new areas are unlocked, eventually she will confront the player at Skyhold, and ask them about their intentions. The player can choose to confess feelings for Harding or say the flirting was simply playful banter, if the player confesses their feelings Harding and the Inquisitor enter a relationship together and her greetings at Skyhold will change. If the Inquisitor enters into a romance with another character, Harding and the Inquisitor's relationship will go back to being strictly professional.
- The only location you can initially get the option to flirt with her is in Crestwood, once you've flirted with her there the option will be available in the other locations so long as you have not initiated romance with someone else.
- If the Inquisitor didn't enter a relationship with anyone else, Vivienne acknowledges the relationship between the Inquisitor and Harding in Trespasser.
- Vivienne can be flirted with though she will always turn the Inquisitor down.
- Varric, Leliana, and Cole cannot be flirted with or romanced at all.
- During Josephine's quest Of Somewhat Fallen Fortune the Inquisitor can engage in sexual relations with Minister Bellise in return for her re-elevating the Du Paraquette family to nobility, but only if he/she is not in a committed romance with anyone else.
- ↑ David Gaider. "Romance Discussion" . The BioWare Forum.
- ↑ Examiner's article on Dragon Age: Inquisition romances and marriage