In Dragon Age II, Hawke can pursue a romance with five companions: Isabela, a rogue pirate captain; Merrill, a young Dalish elf; Anders, an apostate mage who was formerly a Grey Warden; Fenris, an elf and former Tevinter slave; and Sebastian, a DLC companion. All love interests, except Sebastian, may be romanced by either gender. No other companions can be romanced.
It is possible to sleep with all romantic companions, except Sebastian, in a single game. Sleeping with any of the companions does not prevent the development of other romances. However asking either Anders or Merrill to move in after sleeping with them will deactivate the romance flags of all other characters, and remove critical flirt lines from their dialogue. Alternatively, if at the end of the cut scene where you sleep with either Anders or Merrill, you choose the breaking heart option to indicate that it was merely a one-night stand, you may continue with other romances. The companion you want to stay with in Act 3 must be the last one you have slept with in Act 2. As Sebastian's romance has the prerequisite of never initiating a flirt option with any companion or NPC, he can never be simultaneously romanced.
Romantic interests Edit
|Male and female Hawke|
|A deserter Grey Warden mage.||A fugitive Tevinter slave.|
|A former pirate captain.||A Dalish blood mage.|
|Female Hawke only|
|Sebastian Vael (DLC)|
|A Chantry brother and archer of royal birth.|
Other encounters Edit
- Prostitutes at The Blooming Rose
- Jethann (male elf during The First Sacrifice at The Blooming Rose)
- Zevran Arainai (During A Murder of Crows; it is also possible to engage in a threesome with Zevran and Isabela)
- Sebastian will never sleep with the player. His is a chaste romance.
- After a romance is successfully completed, Isabela, Merrill and Fenris will receive a new outfit. The change is purely aesthetic. Note that Merrill's outfit will only change if you elect to continue her romance (Isabela's will change even if you break up with her).
- Just flirting with a character will get you the Flirtatious achievement/trophy, but the Romantic achievement/trophy won't unlock until just before the final battle in Act 3.
- Romance is not affected by rivalry or friendship; they only affect the companion's responses, although most flirt options grant friendship points. For Fenris, Anders and Merrill you will need at least 50% rivalry or friendship to start their respective Questioning Beliefs quest for the cutscene.
- If you sleep with more than one companion, the game may not acknowledge romance and won't mention it in the epilogue.[confirmation needed]