Note that this quest is not available until Act 2, even if Duty is completed during Act 1.
Speak to Sebastian in the Chantry and agree to help. (There will be a funny exchange with Varric after Hawke's first dialogue choice if he's in the party). Then travel to Hightown and enter the Harimann Estate. Sebastian will be locked into the party from this point forward. There are three chests with complex locks in this quest (30 Cunning to open, 150 xp/chest).
Your journey through the mansion will pass without incident until you reach a cutscene. Collect the Mail Undertunic from the nearby chest (armor upgrade for Sebastian). Before you continue, take a detour to the east section of the mansion for an amusing cutscene and a complex chest. If Isabela or Varric is in your party, they will have some amusing comments.
As you approach the waypoint marker, a cutscene and battle with shades and a Desire Demon will follow. The Starkhaven Longbow can be picked up off a nearby dead Flint Company mercenary. Picking it up activates the companion quest The Starkhaven Longbow.
Enter the Underground passage to continue the quest. The first battle features a rage demon and numerous shades. Your next fight is with a Revenant, and a selection of corpses. Then after them, two more rage demons await, and beyond them is a Revenant and an Arcane Horror. After the battle, go up the stairs to the west to find the Codex entry: The Demon's Gift and a complex treasure chest. Before you enter the final room, don't forget to pick up 4 (exact amount varies with level) from some rubble in the corner.
Spirit damage is commonplace whenever you fight the undead, so a single Spirit Warding rune in your companion's armor will, unlike Hawke, provide 90% resistance and level with them, always guaranteeing near-nullification of such damage. The rune tracing can be bought from Mage Goods in the Gallows as soon as Act 2 begins.
Any combat encounter in the ruins can be easily won by falling back to a more defensible position or choke point. While every enemy has an immunity (on Nightmare anyway) that makes weapon-juggling a necessity (Shades are immune to Spirit, Corpses immune to Nature, Revenants immune to Cold and Nature, Rage Demons immune to Fire), all of them are at least vulnerable if not weak to Electricity. This means equipping your Elemental Weapons mage with an electricity staff will greatly supplement your damage.
The two Revenants can be easily bombarded with electricity and spirit, and they are both joined by corpses, also vulnerable to spirit damage. The second one (in the area with the Codex entry: The Demon's Gift) can be choked in the doorway and defeated from the wooden stairs outside without having to engage the Arcane Horror immediately.
Finally, Lady Harimann's Shade entourage can be lured back to this room and killed single file, leaving only her, an easily stunned Blood Mage, and Allure to defeat. If Sebastian has advanced in his unique talent tree Royal Archer, he can make short work of them under manual control with a full combo chain and Arrow of Judgment.
Return to the estate via the nearby exit. You will have a bit of dialogue with the daughter.
Return to the Chantry and speak to Sebastian to complete the quest.
During the conversation with Allure and Lady Harimann:
- "I wouldn't betray my friends"
- "I do like power"
- "Die, fiend!" (Attack)
Choice 2 (If you did not attack Allure):
- "That's a good point."
- "Don't listen to her..."
- "Die, fiend!"
Dialogue with Flora Harimann:
During the Final conversation back in the chantry:
- "That's a good question"/"What do you want to do?"/"Listen to your heart"
- "You must take back your land." (Eliminates Flirt option.)
Other dialogue choices here seem to have no impact.
- Sebastian joins as a permanent companion.
- If the item was picked up, the companion quest The Starkhaven Longbow will activate.
- Mail Undertunic
Companion armor upgrade
+2% critical chance - Sebastian's armor upgrade (+2% Critical Chance)
- Fade's Fury
Requires: Weapon and Shield
Damage: 25 physical damage
(47 per second)
+5% critical damage
+3 spirit damage across 2m - loot Desire Demon
- Allure's Crook
Requires: 34 magic
Damage: 35 spirit damage
(48 per second)
+5 mana/stamina regeneration rate - loot Allure's corpse
- 11 from Sebastian
- 1000 XP(quest completion)
- Sebastian's cunning will likely not be high enough to open the locked chests within the house or ruins. The building remains open throughout Act 2 however, and it is possible to return later to empty them.
- If you have The Black Emporium (DLC) installed, you may use a Maker's Sigh potion before doing the quest.
- You can also accept the quest to officially recruit Sebastian but delay entering the Harimann Estate until your level is about 15-16. This will provide Sebastian enough attribute points to reach the Cunning threshold of 30 (There are no Master-ranked chests in the estate).
- The estate and the passage remain in the state you left them. If you were able to loot everything there's no need to return later, be it day or night. Also there's no further dialogue with Flora Harimann.
- pc (1.04) Before and after the conversation with Allure and Lady Harimann, the screen goes black and the "Loading..." message pops up. To proceed with the quest you may simply press Esc as soon as you see the message, however this causes you to miss some dialogue.
- pc (1.04) A full workaround has been discovered however that allows you to not miss anything (see also Faith in Act 3 for how this bug is "game-breaking" to that quest). You must enter your Dragon Age II program folder and temporarily delete the patch folder under GameFolder\Addins\da2_prc_drk\module as that's where the interference lies. Then, after completing Repentance, restore the patch folder. The source of this information is at Freezing issue in The Exiled Prince DLC