Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Reining Men are trying to take over the Docks (Night). Killing the majority of them will reveal the location of their hideout and leader.
Jess Varvell is an ordinary mage, the kind that casts Barrier religiously. She is no threat provided she stays far away and you aggress her just enough so she'll activate her barrier. The others have decent armor and are immune to cold on Nightmare but will fall to a strong DPS party that can hit harder and faster than they can. Fenris, Anders, and Merrill/Varric have you covered, and if you've made it this far on Nightmare, the battle should pose no trouble.
You can now walk around the Docks at night without being ambushed by thugs.
- Random loot
- Woodsman's Ire
Requires: Weapon and Shield
Damage: 27 physical damage
(51 per second)
+16% threat generation (dropped by Jess Varvel)
- 500 XP
- Should this be the last of the night-time quests that you turn in: 5, 800 XP, and the Woodsman's Ire axe will be given to you by A Friend. She will then depart.
- A Friend only appears at night, in the back room of The Hanged Man. She will continue to give out rewards each time the player clears out a band of thugs in the subsequent side quests.
- Like all nighttime gang quests, several waves of enemies will not appear unless you change area and come back. Also like all other such quests, the hideout location will be revealed even if 1-2 groups of gang members have not been cleared (so as not to be rendered impossible to complete if another quest npc is curretly blocking a group from spawning in a specific location).
- The thugs are generically named Slave Hunter.
- pcps3xbox360 The player may have to move around the hideout and all its small side areas repeatedly to get all of the enemies to appear.
- pcps3xbox360 When leaving the Run Down Alley the player will appear in the western Warehouse District (map marker), despite entering in the eastern Warehouse District.
- pc *ps3 Looting Jess Varvel before killing all enemies (possible due to bug listed above) *may* prevent the quest from being completed and instead pointing you to a point outside the map. If this happens and you leave the area (at western Warehouse District due to bug listed above) you will be pointed back in again, without possibility to finish the quest. Even if you have looted Jess Varvel, you can still complete the quest by killing remaining enemies as discussed above.
- xbox360 The Codex entry for completing the quest references the wrong area as it says, "According to all sources, most of the slavers have abandoned Lowtown."
- pcps3xbox360Some enemies from a group may not spawn unless the player moves over a certain spot on the ground. Being thorough in exploring the immediate area of a fight may be required to get all enemies to spawn properly.
- Most notable among these are the group of Slave Hunters who spawn in the Warehouse District (eastern map marker). One of the enemies will not spawn until the player approaches the southern end of the pier (down the stairs to the water) the map marker rests upon.