Sitting on the western shore of Lake Calenhad, the village of Redcliffe is so named for the reddish hues of the cliffs that tower above it. A path leads up into the hills and across a bridge to an island where the ancient Castle Redcliffe has stood far longer than the village itself.
Redcliffe is located in the western hills of Ferelden. The village below the castle (and others under Redcliffe's authority) grew until the arling was as powerful a settlement as any teyrnir. Redcliffe Castle is the first and last line of defense for the sole land route into Ferelden and the country has never fallen to any assault that did not first take Redcliffe.
Redcliffe is one of the largest and most prosperous towns in Ferelden, due to its position between Orzammar and Orlais. As such it is a center of foreign trade. Such favorable conditions caused the domain to be named an arling in spite of its small size. The citizens of Redcliffe are primarily fishermen or merchants engaged in shipping dwarven goods from Orlais.
In late autumn the villagers smoke the fish they have caught, to the dismay of visiting merchants.
Witch Hunt Edit
Dragon Age: Origins Edit
Dragon Age: Inquisition Edit
Places EditBlacksmith's Store House Redcliffe chantry Windmill General Store Tavern Kaitlyn's Home Dwyn's Home Wilhelm's Cottage
Quests EditA Missing Child A Village Under Siege The Arl of Redcliffe Last Will and Testament Lost in the Castle The Attack at Nightfall
The Blackstone Irregulars EditDereliction of Duty Grease the Wheels Scraping the Barrel
Chanter's Board EditBrothers and Sons Caravan Down Desperate Haven Skin Deep
The Mages' Collective EditJustice Must Be Served/A Gift of Silence Careless Accusations Herbal Magic The Scrolls of Banastor
Certain Interested Parties EditCorrespondence Interruptus Dead Drops
- Tomas: He is standing on the bridge when you first enter the village. He will bring you to the chantry to speak with Bann Teagan Guerrin. He will also run up to you when you try to leave the village before the quest A Village Under Siege is completed, asking you to stay and help.
- Murdock: He is the Mayor of Redcliffe and can be found standing at the village square. Talking to him is needed for the quest A Village Under Siege. While not necessary, it is useful for you to talk to him before going inside the other houses in the village. Also it is possible to get approval from Leliana (+1) depending on what you ask him about and say.
- Ser Perth and a few knights: In front of the windmill.
- Doomsayer: Near the Blacksmith's Store, appears only if the village is not saved.
- Teagan Guerrin: Near the Windmill or in Redcliffe chantry during A Village Under Siege.
- Knight-Commander Harrith: Near the Windmill. Involved in A Gift of Silence and Defending the Collective.
- Chanter Farrah: Manages the Chanter's Board.
Notable items EditDeathroot
A harmless enough plant on its own, deathroot's thick leaves contain an extract that the Chasind have used to induce hallucinations for centuries. Sufficiently concentrated, it can be made into a deadly poison.
A mug of watered-down ale.
, source: Lloyd's inventory Andraste's Grace
A small white wildflower, commonly known as Andraste's Grace.
for Leliana, source: can be found at the Windmill (near the tree). Sten's Sword
A Qunari greatsword. Though its blade shows nicks from numerous battles, it has obviously been well looked after.
for Sten, source: Chest in Redcliffe Village OR handed directly to the Warden by Dwyn. Wine
A flask of red wine.
, obtained for free from Bella in the tavern, after you've convinced Lloyd to help defend the village.
Codex entries EditCodex entry: Lake Calenhad, source: 'No Swimming' sign Codex entry: Redcliffe, source: entering Redcliffe Village
- Chest (Ferelden, Normal) - locked
- Chest (Ferelden, Elite) - locked
- Wooden Crate (Ferelden, Normal)
- Wooden Crate (Generic, Normal)
- Wooden Crate (Generic, Normal)
- Barrel (Generic, Critter)
Special objects Edit
- Chanter's Board outside the Village chantry.
- Blackstone Irregulars quest box outside the Village Chantry.
- Mages' Collective bag near the lake.
Companion remarks Edit
One of the companions may make interesting remarks at certain spots:
- Shortly after stepping outside the chantry
- Oghren: (belches) "Huh. Surface air."
- Sten: "Is this where humans keep all their wisdom? Your behavior makes much more sense to me now."
- Alistair: (sniffs) "What is that smell? Fish? And something else. Oh... more fish."
- Wynne: "These people don't deserve what has happened to them. We must get to the bottom of this."
- Leliana: "Walking corpses? Do you think it's something in the water?"
- Morrigan: "Ahh, fresh air. 'Twas difficult to breathe within all that self-righteousness crowding the air."
- Zevran: "Ah! What a lovely fishing town! You can almost smell the desperation of local gentry, no?"
- Shale: "Are there pigeons here? I think we should look for them."
- At the cliff's edge anywhere around the mill
- Alistair: "Ah, it's sort of like coming home again. But with more undead."
- Oghren: "What do you think the villagers would say to me taking a dip in the lake naked?"
- Wynne: "Isn't it beautiful? Standing here, you wouldn't know the trouble down in the village."
- Leliana: "Ooh, a windmill. I once took a ride on the sails of a windmill. Didn't turn out well."
- Morrigan: "Yes, yes very lovely. Let us soak in the vista before the massacre begins."
- Zevran: "Hmm. Anyone up for a bit of naked cliff-diving? No?"
- Sten: "Hmph. Defensible enough spot."
- Shale: "I wonder what it must be like to float? Or drown?"
Party banter Edit
At the following spots, companions may engage in party banter:
- After using the secret passage to enter the castle dungeons
- On the bridge along the cliff
- The boardwalk near the blacksmithy
- Entering the village with Alistair will trigger a conversation about his heritage. Afterward, if you talk to him and his approval is high enough, he'll start the quest Alistair's Family.
- Leaving the village (traveling anywhere other than the Party Camp) without completing the quests Village Under Siege and The Attack at Nightfall will result in the deaths of all the inhabitants except Bann Teagan, who will still take his part in continuing the Arl of Redcliffe quest line.
- The first cottage on the right when you enter Redcliffe Village belongs to Wilhelm, it's inaccessible by normal means and is a remnant of the original process to acquire Shale before it was added as downloadable content.
- There is a bug in the pcwhich may cause fires to still be present after the quest A Village Under Siege is completed.