Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Primeval Thaig is the earliest known thaig created by the dwarves, many years before the first Blight, but it is so old that its existence has been forgotten. Dwarf history, recorded in the Memories, is said to begin with the founding of the first thaig, but the Primeval Thaig is apparently much older than even that.
The architecture is very different from other thaigs and dwarf constructions. This thaig is the only known one left entirely untouched by darkspawn. It possesses great statues and temples, and also things created by magic. Both of these things are very strange, since the dwarves worship no gods and are incapable of magic.
When Hawke and the expedition descend into the Deep Roads, they descend so far that they enter the Primeval Thaig, below the official level of the Roads. It seems that the Thaig represents an example of prehistoric dwarven culture, with temples and idols for a pantheon of dwarven deities, rather than the statues of Paragons found in all later thaigs. The thaig is overgrown by red lyrium, and a lyrium idol is found in it. Over the course of the game it is discovered that this idol summons spirits, and can be used to cast spells, even by non-mages.
Inside the Primeval Thaig, Hawke can also find a staff of strange metal that was left after the Valdasine Thaig was mysteriously abandoned by its inhabitants. The thaig is totally empty of dwarves, but is not uninhabited: it is filled with semi-mythical rock wraiths, who call themselves the profane.If Hawke meets Nathaniel Howe in Act 3, he tells that the Grey Wardens took great interest in the Thaig and the First Warden commissioned a special expedition to learn more.
Quests EditThe Deep Roads Expedition
- Bartrand Tethras
- Bodahn Feddic, before entering the Thaig proper
- Sandal, before entering the Thaig proper
- Bodahn's Goods, before entering the Thaig proper
Notable items EditOrichalcum
- at the top of the stairs in the first room after reaching the abandoned thaig
- Although Bartrand suggests that it was built before the First Blight, the Primeval Thaig has golems, which were made to fight darkspawn when the First Blight occurred.
- Similarly, although Bianca's research suggests red lyrium is tainted lyrium, the thaig appears to have worshiped an idol made from this substance prior to the appearance of darkspawn.
- The Claws of Dumat found in the Fade during Here Lies the Abyss are identical to the larger statues littering the Primeval Thaig in Dragon Age II.
- The smaller winged statues in the Primeval Thaig are similar to those found in the Lost Outpost beneath Crestwood.
- Both types of statues adorn the ruins of Heidrun Thaig that was also built before the First Blight
- The Thaig later becomes colloquially known as "Bartrand's Folly"
See also EditCodex entry: Valdasine