The creature leaps upon its target, pinning it to the ground and attack it repeatedly.
This is the creature Ability.
Overwhelm is not always successful, it can fail to trigger properly in some cases. It is generally activated when the character dips to 50% or less health, as this is the default tactic for creatures with Overwhelm of any type. It can be interrupted with Abilities and Spells that Paralyze or Knock Down. As of 1.03, Stun effects will not end an Overwhelm.
These are the creatures that use this Ability.
- Bears: Great Bears and Bereskarn
- The Children: All varieties
- Dragons: Dragons and Drakes
- Dogs: Dogs and Alpha Dogs
- Spiders: Corrupted Spiders, Poisonous Spiders and Giant Spiders
- Werewolves: Shadow Werewolves, Rabid Werewolves, Werewolf Leaders/Werewolf Alphas and Swiftrunner
- Wolves: Wolf Pack Leader/Wolf Alpha and Witherfang
- Overwhelm only affects Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Qunari, Hurlocks, and Genlocks. All classes with Overwhelm are immune to its effect. A transformed Morrigan, Shale and Dog are the only companions that are immune to Overwhelm.
- Several enemies in a group can easily chain Overwhelm against a solo character, which may be lethal for units with little armor, and very annoying and time consuming for highly armored characters, as openings to counterattack are few, short-lived, and far between. This threat greatest when facing a large group of Shadow Wolves, as they can Overwhelm a defenseless party member from Stealth, evading countermeasures.