Ogres are the massive, brutish shock troopers of the darkspawn horde. Dwarfing their darkspawn brethren, ogres attack opponents with brute force and monumental strength, acting as living siege weapons. Standing above even the normal ogres are the ogre alphas; these monstrosities are no larger, but are far stronger, and are usually accompanied by shrieks.
Ogres are born from broodmothers who were once female Qunari. Ogres have appeared in previous Blights, prior to the arrival of the Qunari at Par Vollen. This is believed to be the result of a colony of Kossith having settled in the southern Korcari Wilds before having been overrun by the darkspawn, resulting in the creation of the first ogres.
- When the killing blow to an ogre is from a melee attack there will usually be a special death animation. This is a mixed blessing, as the character performing the animation is still vulnerable to attack, yet cannot move or otherwise take actions until the animation is complete.
- A statue of an ogre can be found in Mass Effect 2 through the Kasumi - Stolen Memory downloadable content.
- In Dragon Age II, Qunari were given horns, and their skin color became more akin to that of the ogres. According to David Gaider, this was the initial intent, and the reason why they did not implement the horns was that Sten would be unable to wear a helmet.
- Like the rest of the Darkspawn, the ogre underwent a redesign for Dragon Age II. The ogre's is the least extreme of the redesigns, being restricted to skin and armor appearance.
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent the ogre underwent a further slight redesign, the face becoming more skeletal in appearance.
See also EditCodex entry: Ogre Ogre (strategy) Codex entry: Armored Ogre Codex entry: Ogre (Inquisition)
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 26
- ↑ Gaider, David. "Why do ogres exist in Thedas before the Qunari arrival?". Retrieved 27 March, 2012
- ↑ Gaider, David. "Opinions about the art direction." Retrieved 27 March, 2012.