Sometimes called "mudsplashers", nugs populate the underground tunnels of Thedas, providing an ample supply of food for the dwarves. They are small, hairless, nearly blind creatures with pointed snouts for digging. They resemble a cross between a rabbit and a pig, or an aardvark.
The Warden encounters nugs in Orzammar, and may chase after lost ones to help out the Nug Wrangler Boermor. Additionally, a cute nug can be procured from the idle dwarf in Dust Town, which can be gifted to Leliana. She will then name it Schmooples.
- Nugs can be made into nug pancakes and nug-gets (some children love these).
- King Ansgar Aeducan adored nug-seared on a hot metal plate and finished in the oven—and dressed in a cream sauce flavoured with deep mushroom.
- If the Warden asks Sanga, proprietor of The Pearl, to "surprise me", they may wake up next to two nugs, and then fall down shortly after.
- Kirkwall declared the common nug a noxious vermin in 5:20 Exalted over fears that the animals carried the Blight. The extermination became known as Battle of Squealing Plains.
- During the Leliana's Song DLC, one of the rooms that can be explored during the escape section of the quest will show a room with about four or five Nugs within, along with some eggs, suggesting that Nugs are born from eggs, rather than being placental animals.
- If Leliana gets a nug as her pet, Oghren will admit it's tempting for him to eat it, much to Leliana's disgust.