Nugs are animals which populate the underground locations of Thedas, providing an ample supply of food for the dwarves. They are small, hairless, nearly blind creatures with pointed snouts for digging. They resemble a cross between a rabbit and a pig, or an aardvark.
They are harmless and docile omnivores which are known to eat almost anything they find on the cavern floors, including insects, worms, and when the picking are lean, limestone and simple metals. Because of their frequent diggings in shallow pools and mud pits, the dwarves gave them the nickname of "mud splashers". Nugs can also be found in Orzammar as domesticated pet.
The Warden encounters nugs in the Commons, and may chase after lost ones to help out the Nug Wrangler Boermor. Additionally, a cute nug can be procured from the Idle Dwarf in Dust Town, which can be gifted to Leliana. She will then name it Schmooples.
- In Heroes of Dragon Age features playable nugs. The base character set includes "Nug", a common beast having the lowest power and health attributes in the game. The rare "Wintersend Nug" became available in the holiday-themed Wintersend pack. Six additional nug variations with considerably higher stats and special abilities became available on April 1, 2014: the "Mage Nug", "Noble Nug", "Corrupted Nug" (rare); "Fluffy" and "Spike" (epic); and Schmooples (legendary).
- Kirkwall declared the common nug a noxious vermin in 5:20 Exalted over fears that the animals carried the Blight. The extermination became known as the Battle of Squealing Plains. It is not spoken of in polite company.
- Nugs can be made into nug pancakes and nug-gets.
- Varen, a former Legionnaire, became a Paragon after he discovered that nugs are edible.
- King Ansgar Aeducan adored nug-seared on a hot metal plate and finished in the oven—and dressed in a cream sauce flavoured with deep mushroom.
- If the Warden asks Sanga, proprietor of The Pearl, to "surprise me", they may wake up next to two nugs, and then fall down shortly after.
See also EditCodex entry: Nug Codex entry: Traditional Dwarven Folk Songs Nug Crusher
Varies (Tier 5-7)
Requires: 32-38 strength
Critical chance: 0.70%-0.80%
Armor penetration: 11.20-14.00
Strength modifier: 1.25
Chance to stun Gauntlets of the Nug
Requires: 20 strength
+2% damage resistance
Enemies drop better equipment Brass Nug Charm
+2 health regeneration rate