Complete Blackpowder Courtesy.
She tells Hawke about the discovery of an Eluvian in the Brecilian Forest by two of her clan members, Tamlen and Mahariel. She says that Tamlen disappeared and hints that Mahariel died (unless imported from a Dalish Elf Origin). If Hawke investigates further, Merrill reveals the mirror became the main reason why the Keeper allowed her to leave; it is a potential threat. But Merrill, despite the danger it poses, is determined to restore a piece of their legacy.
- Flirt with her (First Wheel):
As they confront the Keeper, Hawke guides Merrill as she asks the Keeper for the carving tool. So that Merrill can claim the Arulin'Holm, she invokes vir sulevanan, the entitlement of the Dalish to a property of their people, for an errand they must perform. Though the Keeper disapproves, she accepts her proposal. For the task, they must kill a Varterral that has taken three hunters of the clan.
As they enter deeper into the Varterral's lair, they come across Pol. Afraid of Merrill, he runs away from her, and toward the Varterral by accident. After the fight with the beast, Merrill approaches Pol, already dead. If Anders is in the party, or if Hawke is a mage, regardless of specialization, she implores that Pol be revived; but either replies that he cannot be saved. Merrill then laments for his death.
They exit the caves, and return to the Keeper. As they receive the reward and give the retrieved amulets of the hunters, Merrill, bewildered, demands an explanation why Pol kept his distance from her. Marethari admits that she warned the clan to stay away from Merrill, as she may bring back the taint. She also attempts to persuade her to abandon the Eluvian, but she fails, as Merrill is persistent.
- Note: You do not immediately have to return to the Keeper. You can remove companions from the party in order to manipulate approval gains. Only Merrill needs to be in the party.
Though Merrill has contributed her part, Marethari, doubtful of her, does not comply; instead, she gives it to Hawke.
- Give Merrill the Arulin'Holm:
- Deny Merrill the Arulin'Holm:
- Merrill: This will REVERSE any existing friendship above 15 into rivalry of that amount reduced by 15. For example, an existing friendship of 40 will turn into rivalry of 25. Friendship at 15 or lower, or at rivalry, will all be affected by the same amount of Merrill: rivalry (+15). The gain in rivalry can be summed up into an equation of: Δa = ― ((2 x (a ― b)) + 15), where "a" is the current approval, and "b" is either 15 or 0 (use the latter if relationship is Neutral). Note: Maxing her friendship beforehand prevents this.
- Anders: friendship (+10)
- Aveline: friendship (+10)
- Fenris: friendship (+5)
- Sebastian: friendship (+5)
- Deny Merrill at first, then acquiesce on the second chance:
If Hawke investigates before coming up with the decision, Hawke learns that Merrill studied blood magic because the shard she obtained was tainted. A demon advised her to use the forbidden magic so that she could cleanse it. If Anders or Fenris is in the party, he objects, but she argues that it was the only way, as she did not have an abundance of lyrium to work with.
- Back from Sundermount appears in the quest log.
- Questioning Beliefs for Merrill begins, if Hawke has high enough friendship or rivalry with her.
- Achievement: That Thing Has Legs
- Honeycut (dagger)
- In the Treasure Pile where the fight against the Varterral takes place.
- Another one can be received if Hawke didn't give the Arulin'Holm to Merrill. pcps3xbox360
- Borderfall (longbow)
- Dropped by the Varterral.
- Varterral's Heart (used in the quest Herbalist's Tasks)
- Added to the players inventory automatically upon the Varterral's death.
- A decent amount of , level dependent, in the same treasure pile as Honeycut.
- 1000 XP after killing the Varterral (quest update) and (another) 1000 XP when talking to Marethari after killing the Varterral (quest completion).
- Orichalcum - In the same room as the second group of spiders.
- Glitterdust - After defeating the second group of spiders, go down the stairs in the next room and it will be to the left, near a door.
- Deep Mushroom - After defeating the Varterral, go up the stairs and it will be in front of you.