The Memories are the archives of Orzammar. Tens of thousands of years of history are recorded in them. Some Shapers claim that the Memories date back to the founding of the first thaig, while other sources state that the first dwarven kingdom was founded so long ago that even Memories do not record it.
Memories are recorded by Shapers of Memories who craft lyrium runes containing the actual thoughts of the ones who made them. Thanks to this method, even the minutest details can be recorded with precise accuracy.
Memories contain detailed genealogical records of every dwarf in the city as well as deaths, marriages, promotions, demotions, inheritances, victories, defeats, Provings, and votes of the Assembly, among other things. The Memories are a collection of dry facts, such as "who", "what", "when", "where" and "how", but not "why". For the dwarves, genealogical records are of supreme importance, for reasons of caste and storytelling, and there is a special portion of the Shaperate dedicated to preserving the correctness of these records.
The Memories are the closest thing the dwarves have to scripture. Record-keeping and custodianship of the Memories is considered a sacred duty.
Dwarves consider their Memories to be flawless. However, both the casteless and the exiled surface houses are stripped from the Memories as though they never existed. In the recent times, altering the Memories for political gain has been a common occurrence What is more, Memories lack or misinterpret key facts of the early dwarven history. Even the ancient language used to record Memories is not fully understood, and many runes have not so much been translated as inferred.
See also Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Codex entry: Dwarven Runecraft
- ↑ Codex entry: The Primeval Thaig
- ↑ Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Player's Guide, set 2, p. 9
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Core Rulebook, p.185
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2, p. 145
- ↑ Codex entry: Journal of Professor Arberg
- ↑ According to Shaper Valta who was sent to do fieldwork after she refused to edit out unwanted information about the current dwarven king.
- ↑ Titans, Primeval Thaig, Kal Repartha, events in the Cad'halash thaig are all missing from the Memories.