—From Codex entry: Lothering
Historically, Lothering arose on a crossroads of the Imperial Highway, being a little more than a trading post serving the fortress of Ostagar to the south. In time, the settlers became self-sufficient through mills and farmland.
Places EditLothering chantry Dane's Refuge
Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne Edit
During the Fereldan Rebellion, a large number of Fereldan troops loyal to King Meghren assembled in Lothering for the purpose of finding Prince Maric Theirin after the assassination of his mother Moira Theirin in 8:96 Blessed.
Dragon Age: Origins Edit
During the events of the Fifth Blight, following the defeat of the King at Ostagar, Lothering received a large number of refugees fleeing from the south. The villagers are also preparing to evacuate Lothering since they were abandoned by their Arl, Leonas Bryland. For that reason, elders, templars and Chantry clerics are trying to maintain order, and help as many as they can while they are preparing to evacuate the village.After a main quest is being completed, Lothering will be overrun by the darkspawn horde and become inaccessible for the Warden to travel there.
Dragon Age II Edit
Witch Hunt Edit
Main quests EditLothering and the Imperial Highway
Side quests EditBandits on the Road A Fallen Templar More Than Just Plants The Qunari Prisoner The Unscrupulous Merchant Traps are a Girl's Best Friend A Poisonous Proposition
Chanter's Board EditA Last Keepsake Bandits, Bandits, Everywhere When Bears Attack
The Blackstone Irregulars EditScraping the Barrel Dereliction of Duty
- Allison - quest giver
- Elder Miriam - quest giver
- Leliana - a possible companion. Found in Dane's Refuge.
- Sten - a possible companion.
- Revered Mother - Found in Lothering chantry.
- Little Boy (suspected child of Goodwife Sarha)
- Robbed family (a family of elves: Robbed Man, Robbed Woman and Robbed Child)
- Chanter Devons
- Ser Maron
- Helpful Refugee
- Bodahn Feddic and his son, Sandal
Entering the town
- 4 Bandits with leader (refer to Bandits on the Road for additional information.)
- Giant spider (Animal, Normal) - x6, each dropping a Toxin Extract
- Bandit, Rogue, Mercenary Archer, Bandit Leader (refer to the Bandits, Bandits, Everywhere quest for more information.)
- Wolf (Animal, Critter)
- Black Bear (Animal, Normal)
- Refugee (Human, Critter) x11 - no armor, poor quality weapons, skills limited to Precise Striking.
Notable items EditHeavy Chainmail armor set
Varies (Tier 1-7)
Set: -3% fatigue, found on body of armored bandit leader. Imperium Crossbow
Dragonthorn (Tier 7)
Requires: 30 strength
Critical chance: 3.20%
Armor penetration: 11.00
Increased damage vs. demons (PC version) + 2 damage -1 dexterity (console version), may be stolen from the unscrupulous merchant near the Chantry. Knight's Locket
This golden locket bears within it a tiny painting of a pretty brown-haired woman. It is impossible to tell who the woman might be, but whoever owned the locket was quite fond of her.
, quest item, found on dead Templar's body. Knight's Note
This crumpled note is written by Ser Henric, a knight of Redcliffe.
, quest item, found on dead Templar's body. Oathkeeper
Steel (Tier 3)
Requires: 15 strength
Critical chance: 2.40%
Armor penetration: 2.60
Strength modifier: 1.00
+1.5 armor penetration
+10% to healing effects received, quest reward. Qunari Thickened Cap
Reinforced (Tier 5)
Requires: 17 strength
+10 mental resistance, found on body of armored bandit leader. Sarha's Keepsake
A copper filigree ring.
, quest item, found on body of his mother. Surveyor
Jewelry worn on the finger.
+1 to willpower , obtained by demanding the highwaymen return stolen goods. Golden Scythe 4:90 Black
This battlefield spirit maintains a chill even in direct sunlight, which it appears to absorb. Optimal serving is by the drop. Contact with exposed flesh is discouraged, but likely inevitable.
, crate inside the village. (+10) to Oghren. Small Carved Statuette
A small carving of a robed woman.
, crate in the far north of Lothering where the party encounters darkspawn attacking Bodahn Feddic. (+10) to Alistair. Wine
A flask of red wine.
, sold by the unscrupulous merchant. (+10) to Wynne.
Codex entries EditCodex entry: Lothering Codex entry: The Chasind Codex entry: Sten Codex entry: The First Blight: Chapter 1 Codex entry: Adventures of the Black Fox Codex entry: The Sacred Ashes of Andraste Codex entry: The Imperial Chantry Codex entry: Maleficarum Regrets Codex entry: Leliana Codex entry: Bear Codex entry: Letter from the Blackstone Irregulars Codex entry: Blackstone Letter of Conscription Codex entry: Bann Teagan Guerrin Codex entry: Anora Codex entry: Arl Eamon Guerrin Codex entry: Thorn of the Dead Gods Codex entry: Mabari Dominance
Near highway bandits
Southern refugee camp
South of creek
- Crate (special) - six flasks and Golden Scythe 4:90 Black
- Chest (Generic, Normal) - locked
- Wooden Crate (Generic, Normal)
- Wooden Crate (Barbarian, Normal)
- Rubble (Generic, Critter)
- Pile of Sacks (Barbarian, Normal) - outside Chantry
North of creek
- Wooden Crate (Ferelden, Normal)
- Chest (Ferelden, Normal) - locked
- Pile of Filth (Generic, Critter)
- Sack (Generic, Critter)
- Chest (Generic, Elite) - locked
- Chest (Ferelden, Critter) - locked
North bandit camp
Highway north exit
- Rubble (Ferelden, Normal)
- Broken Crate (Generic, Critter)
- Broken Crate (Special) - contains Small Carved Statuette
Companion remarks Edit
One of your companions (mainly Alistair and Morrigan) may make interesting remarks at certain spots in the town:
- Entering Lothering proper
- Near the Chanters' Board
- At the statue of Andraste in the Chantry
- Exiting Lothering proper into the fields
Party banter may be triggered at the following spots:
- In the south refugee camp
- On the bridge over the creek
- Near the well in the north half of the town
- Failing to speak to Patter Gritch who is inside Lothering's chantry as part of Scraping the Barrel, you will be unable to complete this quest should Lothering be destroyed prior to you speaking to this character. Consequently the final quest for the Blackstone Irregulars will be unobtainable, as it is only given once all other Irregulars quests are completed
- Right in front of the chantry is a traumatized, raving Chasind man (properly tagged as a Doomsayer). If a bystander concludes that he's right about them all being doomed, and if the Warden intimidates them that there is "no hope for any of you fools!", you can choose to gain 45, with no negative approval regardless of who is present.
- If you decline Leliana's request to join the party at Dane's Refuge, she will appear again near the northern map exit and ask if you have reconsidered her offer.
- David Gaider named Lothering. He'd watched 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' the night before and used that as the basis of the name. For a time, the plot of Lothering was called 'Fear and Loathing in Ferelden.' 
- Lothering is the base of the band of templars featured in the Penny Arcade comic.
- An elven magi can tell Eadric that he or she is from Lothering.
- When importing the Warden into Witch Hunt, the world map will note that Miriam and the village council have returned to the area and dedicated a shrine outside of the Lothering Chantry to the Warden and those lost during the Fifth Blight.