Lost in the Castle is a side quest in Dragon Age: Origins that occurs in Redcliffe. Owen will ask you to find his daughter, Valena, who works as Arlessa Isolde's maid and has been missing since Redcliffe Castle was attacked. Alternativelly, if the Warden didn't accept the quest from Owen, the quest will be activated after finding Valena.
Valena can be found at Redcliffe Castle - Main Floor, hiding in a small room. The Warden may speak to her and tell her about the tunnel; tell her to simply run; or tell her to stay in the room until it is safe. Whatever the decision, Valena will run from the castle and can be found safely at Blacksmith's Store. If Valena is not found by the time the Connor situation is resolved, she will disappear from the castle and be counted as dead.
If Valena was not found, it is possible to tell Owen that she is probably dead, which causes him to hang himself and for a new merchant to appear.
If Valena triggered this quest, it is completed by conversing with her back at Blacksmith's Store. She will thank the Warden and mention that she is will move to her aunt in Killarney as there is no reason to stay here any longer.
Agreeing to find Valena:
- Morrigan disapproves (-5)
- Sten disapproves (-5)
- Wynne approves (+4)
- Leliana approves (+1)
- Alistair approves (+2)
- Leliana approves (+2)
- Wynne approves (+2)
After rescuing Valena and saying a reward for it is not necessary when he offers it afterwards (this is in addition to above):
- Leliana approves (+1)
- Wynne approves (+1)
After rescuing Valena and accepting the Shielded Dwarven Armor as a reward (if Oghren is in the party):
- Oghren approves (+1)
Steel (Tier 3)
Requires: 18 strength
+4% spell resistance - For finding Owen's daughter.
Grey Iron (Tier 2)
Requires: 12 strength
+1 armor - Not finding Owen's daughter and choosing the dialogue option "Yes, I suppose it means she must be dead." when you report back to him.
100xp - It is gained for completing the quest by speaking with Valena in the Blacksmith's Store if her father died.
- Saving Valena will cause Owen to restock his shop with more inventory, including the Boots of Diligence, part of the Diligence Armor Set.
- If Owen dies, he is replaced by a new blacksmith who will give the Faulty Amulet to the Warden if the latter lies and claims that he was a relative of Owen. The new blacksmith, among other thing, will sell the Far Song.
- If the player spoke to Owen about receiving a reward for rescuing Valena (assuming she is rescued) and then decides to decline the armor when it is offered, the player gains less experience (approximately 200 less) than if the armor is accepted, yet the player gains a small approval from Leliana and Wynne.
- If Owen dies, and you talk to her back in the Blacksmith's Store, she claims to leave town immediately, but in the game she just stands there. It's a possible exploit because after the dialogue where she claims to leave, she grants 100XP. Conversing with her can be done for an unlimited number of times.