Inquisition soldiers are missing in the uncharted marshes of southern Ferelden.
- It is recommended that the Inquisitor be at least level 8 or above. The enemies encountered at the initial areas include Corpse Archers that will appear out of the bog if the Inquisitor or companions approach a certain proximity to them. The enemies faced further south from Fisher's End can reach level 12. This includes the demons spawned from Fade rifts.
- It is also recommended to complete this quest together with Beacons in the Dark and Beneath the Mire since these two quests can be completed along the way. Bring a mage along in order to light the veilfire required for these two quests.
- Two quest items for Memories of the Grey can be found toward the end of the quest, thus it might be a good idea to bring Blackwall along for this. One of the items is behind a locked door that requires the Inquisition perk Deft Hands, Fine Tools to open.
- Travel to the Fallow Mire.
- Locate the Avvar outpost.
- Open the gates.
- Defeat the Avvar leader.
- Release the Inquisition hostages.
First, you must complete the war table operation Rescue Soldiers Missing in Ferelden to unlock the Fallow Mire. It costs 8 Power.
Travel to the Fallow Mire and out of Fisher's End into the bog. You will face corpse archers. Upon travelling straight out and reaching a hut, move southward. The first Beacon will be encountered. Light the veilfire and defeat the demons and corpses that are drawn out. After defeating the demons, do not forget to use the veilfire to decipher the rune directly behind the veilfire on the same rock column in order to commence Beneath the Mire.
As you continue travelling south, you will encounter another Beacon. You may want to detour south at this point to set up Old Thoroughfare Camp. Otherwise, head west. You will encounter Sky Watcher along this road. Talk with him before opening, then closing the nearby Fade rift for Rifts in the Mire as this will have repercussions later on in this quest. Continue westward then south until you come to across the final two Beacons.
From the fourth beacon, travel south-west, following the road. Eventually you will reach an area with a large number of corpses. The companions will urge the Inquisitor to rush to the castle as there are too many corpses to fight. Upon reaching the keep, kill the first few Avvar in the initial area where you enter and head up the stairs. Follow the boardwalk until you find the lever and interact with it to seal out the corpses and open the other gate.
Proceed through the newly opened gate until you reach the end of the keep where you will find the Avvar leader, the Hand of Korth. He wields a two-handed hammer and attacks in a similar way to all other two-handed elite enemies. He is immune physical effects, but vulnerable to electricity. Once he is defeated loot his key, then head to the room adjacent to the entrance of the final battle area. The Inquisition soldiers will be inside. Open the door to free them and complete the quest.
Upon leaving the final battle area, the Inquisitor will run into Sky Watcher, who was initially encountered in the bog. If the nearby rift was opened and subsequently sealed, he can be recruited as an agent.
- 1,025 XP
- 400 Influence
- 3 Power
- Unlocks the war table operation Secure a Route through the Frostbacks.
- Unlocks Sit in Judgment:Movran after relocating to Skyhold
- The Hand of Korth always drops Gift of the Mountain-Father
Korth the Mountain-Father brought his people to the mountains at the dawn of time, carving out caves for shelter and bringing them game to survive on. He told them, "Remain in the mountains. They will grant you all you need." Accordingly, Avvar who leave the Frostbacks carry a blade made from ore mined there.
Requires: Level 7
Damage: 126–133 AoE
+5% Sunder on Hit
+5% extra damage for each enemy within 8 meters.
- The corpses at the fortress gate are not actually endless.