- "It is the Assembly who makes a king, and a king who nominates his successor. None of it is carried in the blood."
- "Harrowmont" redirects here. For other Harrowmonts, see House Harrowmont.
Lord Pyral Harrowmont is the High-General of Orzammar, a deshyr in the Orzammar Assembly and King Endrin Aeducan's most trusted advisor and second. He is also well known for being an able administrator, and the author of many compromises in the ever-warring Assembly.
Harrowmont is a traditionalist and truly believes that Orzammar will be stronger if it sticks to the old ways. He is the head of House Harrowmont which is also one of the oldest noble houses, as old as Orzammar itself.
|Click here to reveal spoilers|
for Dragon Age: Origins.
If the Warden says they will support him, the first task he gives the Warden is A Lord's Trust: The First Task, in which the Warden must fight in the Provings. After this, he asks for Jarvia to be eliminated. This can be done by completing Entering Jarvia's Hideout.
After that he tasks the Warden with finding Branka or what is left of her in order to assure his ascension to the throne, giving the Warden maps to Caridin's Cross in order to help the Warden in the search.
If the Warden joins forces with Bhelen, when he ascends to the throne, he will order Harrowmont executed. It can later be heard from criers, "News of the hour: Lord Harrowmont arrested, pending execution."
- If you choose to support Harrowmont, you will discover later in the epilogue that his reign was troubled. By sticking to the traditional dwarven ways, he further restricts rights from the lower castes while favoring the nobility, as well as further isolating Orzammar from the surface by restricting trade and refusing outside military assistance beyond equipment and herbal aid against the Darkspawn in the Deep Roads. In the following series of rebellions, it is revealed that Harrowmont falls ill, most likely due to poisoning, and dies.
- If you choose to support Harrowmont and sided with Branka he uses the golems to put down Bhelen's rebellion and lives. After several riots in Dust Town, he uses the golems to practically reduce the district to rubble. Branka states that more "volunteers" are needed in order to create more golems. Harrowmont refuses, however, and Branka begins raiding the surface to capture unwilling humans and elves. This leads to a short war with Ferelden, forcing Orzammar to close its gates to the surface, thus isolating the dwarves more than ever.
- "No one is born with rights to the throne. The sitting king may recommend a successor, but the Assembly ultimately decides who will rule."
- "Look me in the eye and tell me that you did not slay your brother, for your father's sake!"
- "Your father made me swear on his deathbed that you would not succeed him." (to Bhelen)
- "I would rather be known as a kind and just king. Strong is too often associated with tyrannical."