This quest becomes available after Birthright has been completed, via the Writing Desk at Gamlen's House. If Hawke worked for the smugglers during The Destruction of Lothering, s/he receives a letter from Athenril. If Hawke worked for the mercenaries a letter from Meeran is received instead.
If working for Athenril: Hawke can find Athenril in Hightown. She requests that some goods be retrieved. After speaking with her, go to the Docks at night. Hawke finds Pryce being chased by some Coterie thugs. After killing the thugs, Pryce says that it was a setup, the others were killed and he only survived because he ran. He explains that he's the sole provider for his sisters, and is reliant on working for Athenril to provide for them. Hawke must make a decision concerning what to do with the goods.
If working for Meeran: Hawke can find Meeran in Lowtown at night. He requests that Hawke find Gustav and ensure that the noble he was sent to kill is dead. After speaking with him, go to the Docks during the day. Hawke finds a group of guards surrounding Gustav. The Guard Commander orders the men to hurt Gustav to keep him from running, and combat ensues. Afterwards Hawke speaks with Gustav, and then with Lord Harimann. Asking Harimann about the bounty will reveal that he convinced the Viscount to send aid to Ferelden during the blight and made some enemies in the process. This allows Hawke the option of sparing the noble's life.
If the quest is done for Athenril, Hawke has the choice of either giving Pryce the goods and telling him to start his life over, or taking the goods to Athenril:
- If Hawke brings the goods to Athenril: She rewards Hawke with sovereigns and invites Hawke to work with her again.
- If Hawke gives the goods to Pryce and lies to Athenril: Hawke is not rewarded, but is still be invited to work with Athenril in the future.
- If Hawke gives the goods to Pryce and tells the truth to Athenril: Hawke is scolded. Athenril will attack the party next time they visit the location where the quest was given (in Hightown) at night; killing Athenril yields some experience.
If the quest is done for Meeran, Hawke has the choice of either killing Lord Harimann or letting him go:
- If Hawke kills Harimann: Meeran rewards Hawke for killing Harimann and rescuing Gustav, and invites Hawke to work with him in the future.
- If Hawke does not kill Harimann and lies to Meeran: Hawke is rewarded for rescuing Gustav, and is invited to cooperate with the Red Iron mercenaries in the future.
- If Hawke does not kill Harimann and tells Meeran the truth: Hawke is scolded. Meeran and the Red Iron will attack the party next time they approach the location where the quest was given (in Lowtown) at night; killing them yields 300 XP.
Despite the mention of future work, Hawke will never meet Meeran or Athenril again in Dragon Age II.
If working for Athenril:
Agreeing to help Athenril:
Note: Hawke can refuse the quest to receive Aveline: friendship (+5) and Carver: friendship (+5), then switch party members and accept the quest. This will not stack, even if Hawke goes to another area and returns.
Telling Pryce you'll be taking the goods to Athenril:
Giving Pryce the goods:
Telling Athenril the truth:
Lying to Athenril:
If working for Meeran:
Speaking with Gustav:
- Diplomatic option gives no change
- Humorous option gives Varric: friendship (+5)
- Aggressive option gives Varric: rivalry (+5)
Killing Lord Harimann without asking "Who wants you dead":
Killing Lord Harimann after he was asked "Who wants you dead":
- Aveline: rivalry (+10)
- Varric: rivalry (+10)
- Carver: rivalry (+10)
- Anders: rivalry (+5)
- Fenris: rivalry (+5) (tested on pc version 1.02, Confirmed does not occur on PC 1.03)
Refusing to complete the job and not killing Lord Harimann:
If you lie by telling Meeran that Lord Harimann "was gone when you got there" or "He wasn't there":
If you tell Meeran the truth that the job was "Not" done:
- Retrieving the goods for Athenril rewards 3
- Killing Harimann rewards 3
- Lying to Meeran by saying the target couldn't be found rewards 1