Mother Giselle passed along the letter written by Dorian's father. Dorian may wish to read it, but it may be best just to take him to the tavern to sort this out in person.
A certain amount of positive approval is required (at this time, it is unclear exactly how much). Once enough has been gained, Mother Giselle will appear in the main hall of Skyhold (an exclamation point marks her location). The quest can also be triggered in the Skyhold garden by speaking to Mother Giselle prior to it automatically triggering.
Upon speaking to Mother Giselle, she informs the Inquisitor that she has received a letter from Magister Halward Pavus, Dorian's father. It asks that she bring Dorian to a secret meeting, and that a "retainer" will be watching for them. The letter is shown in the Gallery.
The Inquisitor has the option of telling Dorian about the letter. If done so, a bit of extra dialogue and a brief scene will play (no approval changes throughout).
- Note: If the player is looking to gain the maximum amount of approval, do not tell him about the letter.
Whether he is aware of the meeting or not, put Dorian into the party and travel to the Gull & Lantern tavern, in Redcliffe Village.
The tavern is empty and there is no "retainer" in sight. However, Halward soon appears at the base of the stairs. Towards the end of the scene, you will be presented with a wheel of four dialogue choices. These are the only ones that have any approval changes or implications up to this point:
- If one of the following options is chosen, as Dorian and the Inquisitor are leaving, Halward will stop Dorian. The scene ends with the Inquisitor leaving the tavern as the two of them continue to talk.
- Don't leave it like this.
- You didn't let him speak. -
- If one of the following options is chosen, Dorian and the Inquisitor leave. Halward does not stop Dorian, and appears distraught. This could possibly cause the "what must you think of me now" dialog (listed below) to be skipped and bug the romance.
- Let's get you out of here.
- Are we done? -
After the scene ends, the quest completes however back in Skyhold, Dorian reflects on events at the window of his alcove...
- Dorian's line varies depending on how the last scene ended, but your initial choices are always the same
- (Special) Are you all right? -
- No approval changes from remaining choices
- If Dorian wasn't told about the letter...
- ...Why didn't you let me decide?
- I'm sorry. -
- I was trying to help. (ends scene; there is no indication of
- It worked out.
- The last dialogue choice is always the same
- Maker knows what you must think of me now, after that whole display.
- (Special) You led me on. (Females who had flirted with him before this point)
- Just don't do it again. (ends scene)
- I like flirting. (ends scene)
- We can be friends. (ends scene)
- (Romance) Good Things. (Males who had flirted with him before this point—leads to a kiss)
- You're brave. -
- It was entertaining.
- You're trouble. -
- 1,025 XP
- 400 Influence
- 3 Power
- Dorian may or may not remain estranged from his father.
- Dorian's tarot card will change to its alternate look.
- There was a known issue that kept the quest from triggering if Dorian's approval rating became too high before discussing the fate of Felix. An essential dialog would be skipped, resulting in Mother Giselle never appearing in Skyhold's main hall with the letter. This bug was fixed in Patch 5.
- If you got the quest but cannot activate the cutscene at Redcliffe village's The Gull and Lantern, enter the tavern with Dorian as controlled character. Another workaround is to save the game inside the Gull and Lantern, quit, and reload.