The Kirkwall City Guard is the official army of Kirkwall. Answerable to the viscount, it's responsible for law and order in Kirkwall and its surroundings. While the Templar Order concerns itself with apostasy and demonic possession, matters of crime and contraband fall to the City Guard who walk the patrols and undertake the investigations.
When Kirkwall was known as Emerius, it was guarded by the Fourteenth or "Black" Cadre. As one of the worst postings in the Tevinter Imperium, it was not uncommon for convicted criminals to be posted here. After a slave rebellion, the city was thrown into chaos. Only once the Templar Order made their headquarters in the Gallows was order restored.
During this time, Orlais sent an army of chevaliers led by Ser Michel Lafaille to rule the city. Ser Michel saw a need for a permanent armed force to defend the city and to keep the templars in check. Subsequently, the Kirkwall City Guard was formed in 7:60 Storm. However, their power proved to be no match for the templars as was demonstrated when Viscount Perrin Threnhold unsuccessfully tried to eject the templars in 9:20 Dragon.
The Kirkwall City Guard heraldry is a variation of the modern Kirkwall heraldry in the shape of a dragon.
Notable guardsmen Edit
- Brennan Evighan
- Ewald: The Guard Captain during 9:30 Dragon. He was later replaced by Jeven.
- Donnic Hendyr
- Harley Casimi
- Jeven: The Guard Captain during 9:31 Dragon.
- Lia: A possible elven guardswoman, depending on the choices of the Champion of Kirkwall.
- Guardsman Maecon
- Sergeant Melindra
- Aveline Vallen: A native Fereldan who rose to the rank of Guard Captain during her exploits with the Champion of Kirkwall.
See also EditCodex entry: The Kirkwall City Guard
- An alternate coloured version of the Kirkwall City Guard armour is for some reason worn by the Templar Hugh from act 2 onwards. Carver also wears this armour in the Dragon Age II demo.