- "You don't care about mages, you just bow to the Chantry's every whim!"
Circle Tower (Mage Origin) / Castle Redcliffe
Jowan is an apprentice mage in the Circle Tower, where he has lived ever since his father left him at the village chantry at the age of five or six. His mother thought of him as an abomination. He is a friend and temporary companion of a Warden with the Magi Origin, and plays an important role in The Arl of Redcliffe quest.
|Click here to reveal spoilers|
for Dragon Age: Origins.
Jowan has been having a forbidden affair with an initiate, Lily. To further compound his problems, he is suspected of dabbling in Blood Magic, a crime that is punishable by death. In the Magi Origin quest Bound in Blood and Magic, he asks the Warden to help him find and destroy his phylactery so that he may flee without having to fear capture by the Templars. Whether or not the Warden chooses to reveal Jowan's plan to First Enchanter Irving, Gregoir and Irving will be found waiting for Jowan once the task is completed and Jowan will use Blood Magic in order to escape.
Jowan can be found later imprisoned in the Redcliffe Castle - Basement during the Arl of Redcliffe quest. He was employed by Arlessa Isolde to tutor magic to her son in secret without him being taken to the tower. According to Valena, he also had an affair with Isolde. However at the same time Jowan was working for Loghain with the task of poisoning Arl Eamon, which he eventually achieved. However he was suspected by the arlessa of being behind the worse disturbances that followed, which were in fact caused by a demon possessing Connor. The Warden can choose to kill him, free him or leave him in the dungeon.
- If he is freed and not told to "Run. I never want to see you again" or is left in the dungeon, he will offer to perform a blood magic ritual to send someone into the Fade to confront the demon possessing Connor. (If Jowan is told to "Run.", Morrigan or Wynne will mention the ritual instead.)
- If the Warden elects to seek the help of First Enchanter Irving to enter the Fade instead, Jowan can be chosen to go into the Fade and will confront and kill the demon.
- Jowan will be imprisoned by Bann Teagan after offering his help. Bann Teagan cannot be persuaded to free him, and will insist that Arl Eamon must make the decision on his fate.
- Bann Teagan can grant permission to the Warden to be Jowan's executioner. If the Warden is a mage and executes Jowan, he'll reveal that he started to practice blood magic in order to become more powerful, because he always felt inferior compared to the Warden.
- Once the sacred ashes have been used to heal Arl Eamon, if Jowan is still alive and in custody, Arl Eamon will ask the Warden whether they have anything to say in Jowan's defense. If the Warden defends Jowan, Arl Eamon will send him to the Circle Tower - he will not free him. If the Warden does not say anything in defense of Jowan, Arl Eamon will have him executed.
- pc If Jowan was freed from the basement and told to "Run. I never want to see you again." then a new quest called Jowan's Intention will appear in the Chanter's Board section of the journal on the conclusion of the Urn of Sacred Ashes. Jowan can be encountered protecting a group of refugees and the Warden can elect either to kill him or let him go on to a new life under the alias "Levyn". This quest can currently only be completed by PC players due to requiring the console to fix the broken quest line.
Starting Talents/Skills: When first encountered in the Mage Origin story, Jowan begins with level 1 Herbalism, level 1 Combat Training and level 1 Combat Tactics. When he is encountered again during the Arl of Redcliffe quest line, his skills will have advanced considerably (but he will only be accessible as a temporary companion if chosen to enter the Fade to face off against the Desire Demon).
Mage: Arcane Bolt
During the final stages of the Mage Origin storyline, you don't have to worry about future statistic/skill allocation with Jowan but be sure to make the most of what you're provided with. The player should be able to equip Jowan with a staff and potentially a Charm of Flame (that adds 5% Fire Damage, assuming the player is not a primal mage and is using it themselves). Take advantage of Jowan's Flaming Weapons spell, as the player will also be accompanied by Lily (who has Dual-Weapon Training). Be careful, however, Flame Blast causes friendly fire.
- "You don't care for the mages, you just bow to the Chantry's every whim!"
- "No! I won't let you touch her!" (stabs hand)
- "Am I not allowed to have regrets?"
- "I'm more dangerous than I look!"
- "Right! Who wants their hair set on fire?"
- "Ambiguous rubbish, it could mean anything. I can do it too: 'The sun grows dark, but lo! Here comes the dawn!'"
- Jowan: "I'm glad I caught up to you. Are you done talking with Irving?"
- Warden: "Going through another personal crisis?"
- Jowan: "Very funny."
- Warden: "This fat cow is your lover?"
- Jowan: "She's right here! Sorry Lily..."
- Warden: "My condolences Lily."
- Jowan: "Very funny."
- When discussing the plan, (And playing as a female Warden) You will be given the dialogue option, "Why haven't we ever..." implying a question of pursuing a romantic and/or sexual relationship with him. Jowan appears to be oblivious to the fact that you felt this way claiming that you are "like a sister" to him. You then have the option to admit that you do or reveal that you were just joking. Either way, he will remain confused as to why you would say a thing like that now, and simply drop the subject entirely.
- When talking to Greagoir, after the Arl of Redcliffe quest, you can mention Jowan's fate (if you are a Mage).
- Jowan will appear as the form of a spirit in The Gauntlet and give the player an item if the Magi Origins is chosen.
- During Witch Hunt, if the Warden is a mage, and tells Finn that he/she recalls seeing the Tevinter statue, Finn will remember about how the Warden helped Jowan escape, and will mention that Jowan's name is now a slang used by the mages, meaning "a dangerous plan with little or no chance of success" which is "technically a misnomer", as he pointed out.
- Jowan was planned to be another full party companion. The Warden would have used the Right of Conscription to recruit him after Arl Eamon was healed. However, this was cut very early in the game's development.