The Jaws of Hakkon have used human bones in some sort of magic ritual. Learning more about this magic could offer insight into their intent.
Automatically obtained upon finding an artifact in the Swamp Kuldsdotten area located in the middle of Frostback Basin.
Collect five enchanted skulls scattered around the swamp. Head to the Stone-Bear Hold to speak to The Augur about the skulls. He will offer to tell you more about the magic that Jaws of Hakkon are using, but requests that you first familiarize yourself with Avvar magic by examining the veilfire runes in the hold.
Light the veilfire in the Augur's hut and head to the northern part of the hold, where Gyda Myrdotten prepares the bodies. There are three veilfire runes which reveal more information about an Avvar ritual, unlocking respective codex entries. Return to the Augur to discuss what you've seen.
- When handing in the quest the Augur will ask what you though was the purpose of the tale in the runes. Answering correctly will yield 2 points for Guests of the Hold, otherwise you get one.
- It can be confusing where to find the Augur in the first place, but to find him, head for the stretch of houses that are above the wall that warriors were climbing up for the Lady's test.
- It is possible to start this quest in the middle, by carrying a veilfire torch from elsewhere in the Frostback Basin to the northern part of the hold where Gyda Myrdotten prepares the bodies, and reading the three runes. From there, you can complete the quest by speaking to the Augur, finding the five skulls in Swamp Kulsdotten, then speaking to the Augur again.
- The triangular cages do not disappear when a skull is obtained, but it does go dark, which can help track which ones have been claimed already.
- 2 Power
- 600 Influence
- 5263 XP
- 1 or 2 points of approval for the Guests of the Hold