The Dog Lords are trying to take over Lowtown at night. Killing the majority of them will reveal the location of their hideout and leader.
"The Bastard" is immune to fire and cold damage on Nightmare, while his subordinates are just immune to fire. Fortunately, he's simply an Elite archer, not a rallying Commander or stab-happy Assassin, so a regular application of stun will keep him from being too much trouble. Luring him and his fellows around the alleys in the lower right corner of the map will allow you to continually drop area-of-effect attacks at the corners while keeping ahead of the dogs and arrows. The copious mabari are an issue, as they don't seem affected by physical force and can keep charging after the party.
The spawn points for the reinforcements are in the top-left, top-right (where you entered), and bottom-left corners of the map, so holding your ground in the lower right corner may allow you to drop out of combat and heal.
Hawke can now walk around Lowtown at night without being ambushed by thugs.
- Random loot
- 2 and 500 XP (quest completion)
- "Dog lord" is a commonly used insult against Fereldans, and the fact that they fight alongside mabari suggest their origin. Indeed, when you acquire the quest, its description notes that the Dog Lords are giving Fereldans a bad name.
- A Friend only appears at night, in the back room of The Hanged Man. She will continue to give out rewards each time the player clears out a band of thugs in the subsequent side quests.
- Like all nighttime gang quests, several waves of enemies will not appear unless you change area and come back. Also like all other such quests, the hideout location will be revealed even if 1-2 groups of gang members have not been cleared (so as not to be rendered impossible to complete if another quest NPC is currently blocking a group from spawning in a specific location).
- pcps3xbox360 The player may have to move around the hideout and all its small side areas repeatedly to get all of the enemies to appear.
- A few enemies may only appear when approaching Gamlen's door.
- pcxbox360 The player will sometimes be unable to leave the hideout after the quest is complete as there is no exit. This can result in a game breaking bug if the player happens to save in the hideout and has no earlier saves. Currently it is not known what causes this bug. However, an unmarked exit can be found at the most upper right corner of the map that leads to Lowtown.
- Game also can crash at entering the hideout. To fix this and similar crashes, swich from directx 11 to directx 9
- The Dog Lords may stop spawning prior to the map becoming available for looting, making the quest impossible to start. pc