Hardened refers to optional personality changes for Alistair (after the Alistair's Family quest) and Leliana (after the Leliana's Past quest) in Dragon Age Origins. The change affects future character dialogue, the overall attitude of the companions, and the plot line.
Alistair will become more selfish and self-confident. He will put his sense of duty above his personal feelings, and therefore become more willing to be king.
- At The Landsmeet:
- Alistair's attitude towards becoming king will be more positive, or at least his attitude to Anora becoming queen will be more negative.
- If Alistair becomes king and the Warden does not marry him as a female human noble but is in a romance with him, Alistair can be persuaded into keeping the Warden as his mistress, even if he is to marry Anora.
- If Alistair is chosen to fight Loghain and has not agreed to marry Anora, then he will assume the throne immediately after executing Loghain. If he does not fight the duel, Alistair will leave the choice to the Warden, but will insist on being made king.
- If the Warden spares Loghain, Alistair will now agree to marry Anora instead of leaving, provided they had previously agreed to marry. He will still leave The Warden's party, but will be around during the Epilogue. This is the only way that both Alistair and Loghain can live without Alistair being exiled.
- Denerim, The Pearl: a woman named Isabela is acquainted with Zevran. If you are in a romance with Alistair and bring him to The Pearl, he will join you in a threesome if you choose that in her conversation choices.
Leliana will no longer object to some of the morally questionable choices made by the Warden. She will be less judgmental of Morrigan, and will have different ending epilogues available.
- If a Human Noble Warden is in a romance with Leliana but agrees to marry the new ruler, then Leliana will now be willing to stay on as the Warden's mistress.
- Denerim, The Pearl: Similarly to Alistair she can be asked to join a threesome with Isabela, or a foursome if Zevran is allowed to come along.
- Urn of Sacred Ashes: A hardened Leliana will still object to the defiling of the Urn should the player decide to go that route but will not turn hostile if you successfully intimidate her.