Gate guardians are decorating statues in memento of Kirkwall's history and turned into golems by Meredith with her lyrium sword during the Battle of Kirkwall. She was able to transfer part of the lyrium of the sword into the statues, turning them into golems along with the slave statues.
Gate guardians have 3 modes, which can switch and allow it to have unique capacities for each mode:
- Spear mode - Whirlwind (it crouches, leading its arms forward and then turns its body quickly, which provides continuous damage for 5 seconds to all targets near him and has an enormous reach).
- Spider mode - Fireball, Flame Blast.
- Dual wielding mode - Flurry (it's still standing, its arms up front and gives quick blows with its weapons which provides greatly damage to all targets in front of it).
Special traits Edit
- Immune to Stun
- Immune to critical hits
- Immune to Knockdown
- Immune to Immobile
- Immune to Paralyzed
- Immune to Enslavement
- Extremely high health
- High damage
- Moderate armor bonus
Elemental resistances Edit
- Cold: Very weak
- Electricity: Very weak
- Fire: Normal
- Nature: Normal, or immune on Nightmare mode
- Spirit: Normal
- Cold spells cause it extreme damage and will slow its attack rate.
- It's slow to move and if attacking someone weak in life (like rogue or mage), they can easily escape.
- Battle Synergy is very useful against the gate guardian, especially since most of its special abilities are AoE.
- Casting Dispel Magic on the guardians will stun them for approximately 10 seconds, afflicting them with a lesser form of Hex of Torment for the duration as well.