Hawke will be offered this quest by a letter at the Writing Desk in Gamlen's House after completing all the main plot quests of Act 1. It serves to continue the story even if Hawke doesn't have the 50 sovereigns to pay for The Deep Roads Expedition.
Meet with Dougal near Lirene's shop in Lowtown at night.
He offers to finance Hawke's share of The Deep Roads Expedition. In return he asks for double his coin when the expedition returns.
If Hawke refuses the offer, Dougal will peacefully wait around in case Hawke changes their mind.
If Hawke accepts the offer:
Accepting the offer will trigger the quest Profit and Loss in Act 2.
- Using this option will not trigger the "Financier" achievement. In order to get the achievement, you must actually give Bartrand the 50 gold directly.
- Despite the quest directing the player to the foundry area of Lowtown, Dougal Gavorn is actually located outside Lirene's Fereldan Imports.
- This quest is there in case Hawke has spent too much to be able to finance the expedition after having done all the other quests. If you accept, the money will be sent to Bartrand, not given directly to the player, so that you can continue the plot.
- If you earn the coin yourself and skip or refuse this quest, at the end of the Deep Roads Expedition your 50 gold will be returned as your "earnings from the expedition". This balances the player's gold across both scenarios, avoiding a potential exploit where accepting Dougal's offer would effectively give you 50 gold for free.
- If you have Varric in your party when talking to Dougal, Varric will interject with a few lines of dialogue here and there which gives you a better idea of the bitter relationship between Dougal and Bartrand. There's a dialogue option where you can directly ask Varric what he thinks, but it does not result in any approval changes.
- This quest always appears, regardless of whether you already have enough money for the expedition. If you've already given the 50 gold to Bartrand, the quest will automatically complete when the letter is read.