Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hawke will be offered this quest by a letter at the Writing Desk in Gamlen's House after completing all the main plot quests of Act 1. It serves to continue the story even if Hawke doesn't have the 50 sovereigns to pay for The Deep Roads Expedition.
Meet with Dougal near the foundries in Lowtown at night.
He offers to finance Hawke's share of The Deep Roads Expedition. In return he asks for double his coin when the expedition returns.
If Hawke refuses the offer, Dougal will peacefully wait around in case Hawke changes their mind.
If Hawke accepts the offer:
- Using this option will not trigger the "Financier" achievement. In order to get the achievement, you must actually give Bartrand the 50 gold directly.
- Despite the quest directing the player to the foundry area of Lowtown, Dougal Gavorn is actually located outside Lirene's Fereldan Imports.
- This quest is there in case Hawke has spent too much to be able to finance the expedition after having done all the other quests. If you accept, the money will be sent to Bartrand so that you can continue the plot. When you return he will confront you at the Hawke Estate, asking for an additional 100 gold. You then have the choice of either paying up or refusing; refusing will result in fighting him at a later point in the game.
- The player can earn around 100 gold during Act 1 (without using increased gold drop equipment, etc.); unless spending money recklessly, it is very unlikely the player needs to accept Dougal's offer. ( Confirmed for v1.04 Normal Difficulty, with all main, side, secondary and companion quests done, a diplomatic Hawke could amass 115 gold in Act 1 without spending any )
- If you have Varric in your party when talking to Dougal, Varric will interject with a few lines of dialogue here and there which gives you a better idea of the bitter relationship between Dougal and Bartrand. There's a dialogue option where you can directly ask Varric what he thinks, but it won't result in gaining any friendship with him.
- This quest also appears if you already have enough money for the expedition. If you've already given the 50 gold to Bartrand, this quest will automatically be completed if accepted.
- If you earn the coin yourself and skip or refuse this quest, at the end of the Deep Roads Expedition you will be rewarded by getting your 50 gold back as your "earnings from the expedition".