Consummate a relationship with one of the romance options and complete any of the following quests: Night Terrors, Blackpowder Courtesy, Following the Qun, Offered and Lost. In some cases Friendly Concern is only triggered after completing All That Remains.
Talk to Varric in the Hanged Man. He will say that it's his duty as a friend to state his concern over Hawke becoming closely involved with:
- Anders: "Maybe, just maybe getting involved with the possessed mage might be dangerous. There: I've said my piece."
- Fenris: "You do know the elf is covered in spikes, like an angsty porcupine? He might have some.. issues."
- Isabela: "Isabela is a great girl, but I think you're likely to get hurt. By which I mean stabbed and left for dead."
- Merrill: "Merrill is a sweet girl, but there's a whole lot of crazy in that little package."
- Note: If you bring the companion you're romancing along with you to see Varric, they will make an in-game comment on the romance. - (Did not occur with Fenris, Isabela, Merrill, or Anders with any dialogue option on PC 1.04)
- Varric: friendship (+20) for picking two diplomatic or humorous comments
- Varric: rivalry (+20) for picking two aggressive/direct options
Note: Max friendship/rival wouldn't affect approval rating.
- This quest was bugged for every love interest except Anders. However since v1.03 it triggers for all other companions as well.
- Sometimes Varric might reference the wrong companion, even if you haven't flirted with them. PC v1.04