Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
I'm hoping this isn't an issue just on my end... the mobile skin used to be a nice simple black text/white background format. However now it has a bright blue background which makes it almost completely unusable. Also there are VIDEO ads now too. They pop on just about every page. Can these things be dealt with? Please. FYI: My mobile OS is the latest iPhone/iPod Touch OS. --Zambingo (talk) 17:08, February 16, 2011 (UTC)
So it's not just me! This has been driving me nuts the last few days. Does anyone know what happened? I changed nothing about my iPhone, didn't connect it to a computer or anything, so I doubt it's an iOS issue. Please, we need this fixed!Scythev (talk) 17:13, February 16, 2011 (UTC)ScytheV
- I think Tierrie just forgot to change the stylesheet back to the previous version (he was testing it, I think).
- I don't get video ads on my iPod even while logged out, so I don't know if it's just something Wikia started randomly (because that's the kind of things they do). I suggest to contact Wikia regarding that if it's an actual issue. --D. (talk · contr) 17:16, February 16, 2011 (UTC)
I have been having the issue with the blue background on my Blackberry as well, although I have never had pop ups of any sort so ill just chop that up to RIMs firewall. What I have been doing to fix the problem is scroll down to the bottom of the page and click where it says 'view full site' which will take you to the actualy website itself instead of just the mobile version. The only downside to this is you have to zoom in to read most pages but other then that it actually looks a lot better lol. Kaiser Von Hawke (talk) 18:06, February 16, 2011 (UTC)
- Mea culpa. I didn't know people actually use the mobile skin so I started tweaking around to try to improve user experience so that users would use it. I didn't think that there were already people using it ;) I removed the blue background and moved my testing to a more private page where it won't affect anyone else until it is ready to be released. *Cough cough* :)
- Since I have you guys here, who clearly use the mobile site - I could use some feedback. What is the primary reason you look it up on your phone instead of your computer? Are you looking up a specific article - ie, you come to the site to find out about a certain item/quest. Or do you come to browse? What would an idea front page be to you? Would it be news? Or a portal page with many links? Or would it be a simple search box featured prominently? -- 05:42, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
- By the way, the video isn't my fault! I have nothing to do with it. I swear! :) -- 05:43, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
Honestly, now that the blue has been fixed, I really don't mind the current appearance and layout of the mobile site. I primarily use the mobile site because I am away from my computer a lot because of classes and I only have a desktop and my iPhone. I use it to check for forum updates, news, etc. while I'm on campus until I get back to my computer.Scythev (talk) 06:11, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
Well the mobile skin is a little plain and dreary, also I find its a little over clustered lol. When viewing the site from a computer all the different links and pages etc have to be clicked to but for the mobile litterally everything is right there, kind of a double edged sword its convenient yet over cluttered. The main problem for me is using the forums is a bit more challenging so anything you can do there would be greatly appreciated. To answer your question, thanks to work I basically live out of my blackberry, I have a laptop but its for business really and I have no need for a desktop. Thanks for putting the white back! That blue was aweful on the eyes, made things much more difficult to read. Kaiser Von Hawke (talk) 07:24, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
I forgot to address your other question, the portal page with multiple links (the way it is currently) is fine, however its a bit of a disorganized mess and looks rather put-offish so like I said a second ago if you can make it look less cluttered it would improve greatly. However since you've offered it, I think the news real is an absolutely fantastic idea. Kaiser Von Hawke (talk) 07:30, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for restoring the white background. BTW, I use the mobile skin a lot because I am a console gamer. It's so nice to relax on my couch while I play and then just use my iPod to check the wiki if I forgot something in a quest etc. However due to the almost impossibility of using the forums via a mobile device whenever I want to reply to a convo I just hop over to my laptop. --Zambingo (talk) 21:03, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
- @Zambingo, a follow up question here - whnen you "use your iPod to check the wiki", do you typically browse to the article or search for it? Would it be more useful to have a series of links Quests -> A Paragon of Her Kind -> A Lord's Trust: The First Task. Or would it be better just to type in "Branka"? -- 21:31, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
For me, if I'm looking for something specific, I will always search for it. Browsing is nice but only good if you have a lot of free time to go through links. As Zambingo said, forums are nearly impossible to reply to woth the mobile version, personally the only way I have figured out how to reply to them is to go to the full site (non mobile version) which is where the edit button will then appear so I can post. If the edit spot is their on the mobile app for being able to post on forums mind telling me where it is? Or move it to a simpler location, thanks. Kaiser Von Hawke (talk) 23:02, February 18, 2011 (UTC)