- "Do you ever wish you could have the freedom to piss anywhere you wanted without being stared at?"
Finn is a human mage specializing in healing magic and one of the three companions in the Witch Hunt DLC of Dragon Age: Origins. His full name is Florian Phineas Horatio Aldebrant, Esquire. He shortened it because the other mages kept calling him "Flora".
Finn is a young mage from the Circle of Magi in Ferelden. He considers himself the Circle's best linguist and foremost expert on ancient Tevinter history–even if others might consider him more of a bookworm, a recluse that spends all of his time in the tower's dark library. Finn is the unlikeliest of adventurers but it may come to pass that his academic expertise will force him to out of the library and into an adventure where his arcane might is the only thing that stands between him and certain death. Unlike most other mages of the circle who have no contact with their families, Finn actually has a very close relationship with his parents.
|“Phew! Am I bleeding? Oh look, a rip in my robe.” — Finn|
This article contains spoilers for Witch Hunt. Click here to reveal them.
The Warden first meets Finn in the Circle Tower when looking for clues regarding the book that Morrigan stole from Ariane's Dalish clan. After the Warden discovers the term Eluvian which has to do something with Morrigan, Finn engages in conversation with the party, telling them that "Eluvian" is a magical elven mirror. He says that the Tevinter mages tried to activate the full power of the Eluvian after they captured them from Arlathan, but only managed to use them as communications portals. He believes that it is possible to locate an Eluvian using the shards of the one broken in the Dalish Origin story, but does not know how. He suggests asking the only known "survivor" of that age of history, and joins the party.
The "survivor" is an ancient Tevinter statue containing the spirit of a prophetess, Eleni Zinovia, which is stored in the basement of the Circle Tower. The statue tells Finn that he requires the shards of a broken Eluvian, as well as the Lights of Arlathan, in order to locate a working Eluvian.
While retrieving the lights he will ask for Ariane's blood to locate them. If the Warden is elvish, he states that Warden blood is different from pure Dalish blood, likely due to the presence of Darkspawn taint. When asked if what he is doing is blood magic, Finn states that it is a gray area as the spell's power does not come from the blood, but nevertheless they should keep this incident to themselves. When the shards and lights are in possession of the party, Finn performs a scrying ritual and locates a working Eluvian in the Dragonbone Wastes.In the Dragonbone Wastes Finn is excited by the working Eluvian but has to stay back and observe the final encounter between the Warden and Morrigan.
Finn starts with the Spirit Healer specialization, leaving two more specialization points.
Initial Gear Edit
All of Finn's initial gear is restricted to him.
White Steel (Tier 8)
Armor penetration: 45.00
+20% spirit damage
High Dragon Hide (Tier 9)
Finn's robe is perfectly spotless. It also appears to have been recently starched and ironed. Finn proudly states that he's enchanted it to always remain wrinkle-free.
+10% spirit resistance
Chance to avoid missile attacks
High Dragon Hide (Tier 9)
+10% fire resistance
+10% electricity resistance
+10% nature resistance
+10% spirit resistance
Finn's belt is stylish, yet functional. His father comissioned it from Denerim's finest leatherworker. Several well-concealed compartments in the belt allow Finn to store gold and other knick-knacks.
+0.75 mana regeneration in combat
Finn has a fascination with old Tevinter artifacts. This necklace is a replica of an ancient amulet worn by devotees of the Old God Zazikel. Finn is careful to keep the templars from seeing it.
+0.5 mana regeneration in combat
+5% chance to dodge attacks
Finn's decoder ring is enchanted and allows him to translate ancient languages even without his many scrolls on hand.
Increases experience from codex
Memory bands are often worn by apprentices to help them remember their lessons. Finn insists that he needs no extra help in retaining knowledge, and only wears this memory band out of foolish sentimentality, since it was given to him by a close friend.
- Finn will tell The Warden about the mage Anders who made numerous escape attempts and even describes one of them.
- Finn has much in common with Harry Dresden, the protagonist of The Dresden Files series of novels, a connection that is acknowledged by one of Finn's battle cries (derived from Dresden's "I am wizard, hear me roar!"). Like Dresden, Finn is a magic user who temporarily works with an organization of "Wardens", and has also given his clothing enchantments that protect against magic and make it easier to keep neat.
- Finn's staff is named "Vera", which is also the name of Jayne Cobb's favorite gun in Joss Whedon's television series "Firefly." Dragon Age's lead writer, David Gaider, is known to be a big Joss Whedon fan. Jayne also owned a Ghastly Hat, knitted by his mother, as does Finn. The hat is not equipped, but is present in Finn's inventory.
- "Phew! Am I bleeding? Oh look, a rip in my robe. (faints)"
- "Yes but it's my blood, It's not the same!"
- "I'm alive!" (after battle)
- "Why do you think it said we wouldn't talk again? I... oh, I'm not going to die am I!?"
- "Why is everything so complicated!?"
- "I am Mage hear me roar!"
- Finn: "Do you ever wish you had the freedom to piss anywhere and not have people stare at you?"
- Ariane: "No. Do you?"
- Finn: "Er... no! Of course not..."