1. Find Martin in the back of the Hanged Man, where he will tell you what he needs. (After talking to Martin, you should receive the Codex entry: The Raiders of the Waking Sea.)
2. Travel to the Docks during the day and speak to the longshoremen.
3. Find Harbormaster Liam and deal with his assistant Aden. You can bribe Aden with 2, or if Hawke has an aggressive personality you can successfully threaten him. Otherwise, if you refuse Aden's offer, he will remain there until you reconsider.3.1 Alternatively if you refused Aden's offer and Isabela is in your party, she will remark that you can return to the docks at night and steal the Dockside Redirect document. If you elect to do this, return to the docks at night and find the document is in the same place you met Aden. This will work even if Isabela was not in your party when you spoke to Aden.
4. Travel to Woodrow's Warehouse and deal with the guards outside. At night, there will only be a single guard outside, and no dialog options. During the day, a sarcastic Hawke can trick them into leaving by telling them there's a fire nearby. If you try to do this with Merrill in your party, however, it won't work because she will mess up the lie, and you will have to fight. A Diplomatic or aggressive Hawke will have to kill the guards. If you do this with Varric in your party, it will generate ( Varric: friendship (+5).
4.1 Alternatively if you chose to take Isabela's suggestion you have the added option to go to the warehouse by day or night. Going during the night you will find a single guard sleeping; you are able to walk past without any fuss.
5. Enter the warehouse and search it, leading with a rogue to identify and disarm the traps. Fight the raiders, which include an Assassin and a Reaver. Beware traps in front of the chest in the office and the crate at the end of the dock. Find the marked crate at the end of the dock to locate Martin's cargo. On the way out of the warehouse, you will be ambushed by another raider team, including an Assassin and a Reaver.
6. Return to Martin at the Hanged Man. If you tell Martin the location he will give you a discount for poisons for the rest of the game. However if you refuse to tell him the location of his cargo, it will make him leave the Hanged Man and therefore you won't have access to his stock.
When talking to Martin for the first time:
- If Isabela is not present in your party, Martin will be more aggressive in the first cutscene. Other members will make comments in her place if you choose to investigate during the conversation.
- If Isabela is present, Martin will not be as aggressive. Furthermore, an additional comment from another party member will be triggered by your first choice:
- Varric, Aveline, or Bethany if the diplomatic option is chosen.
- Bethany, Anders, Fenris, or Merrill if the sarcastic option is chosen.
First dialog with Martin - Accepting the quest.
Note that if you bring Aveline and Isabela with you to talk to Martin before finishing the prequest, Isabela's Contact, you can get 2 for just accepting the quest. Doing so, however, will strip the Friendship/Rivalry gained from Isabela's Contact. (This editor was unable to reproduce this on PC Patch 1.03. Does it depend on dialog choices?) (gold not rewarded for any dialogue choices when playing on PS3 Patch 1.05)
Threatening Aden, the harbor master's assistant.
If you bribe Aden.
Attempting to trick the guards outside the warehouse into believing there is a fire with the special choice, "Fire!", (Available only for a Humorous/Charming Hawke)
Quest reward depends on the choices made in the final dialog with Martin (numbers before dialog options refer to the position of that option on the dialog wheel):
- 1. "Woodrow's warehouse."
Isabela: friendship (+10)
Varric: friendship (+5)
800 XP, 2
- 3. "I'm not telling you."
(Unless you proceed to "I'll tell you for a price"; see below)
- 1. "I'll tell you for a price."
Aveline: rivalry (+10)
Isabela: friendship (+10)
Varric: friendship (+5)
1200 XP, 4
- 3. "Sorry."
Aveline: friendship (+5)
Isabela: rivalry (+10)
- If Hawke chooses to distract the guards by telling them that they saw a fire, their interaction is almost word for word identical to that of Erlina's distraction during the quest Rescue the Queen in Dragon Age: Origins.
- xbox360 You can simply walk past the day time guards after the first conversation and there will be no friendship approval from any companions.
- pc After turning in the quest to Martin during the day and refusing to tell him the location of his cargo, he can still be found in his room at the bar at night. If spoken to, he will still say "Got your payment right here. Just waiting on the good news."
- pc (1.04) The raiders outside warehouse are not clickable, and no cinematic starts, causing the trick/fight dialogue to not trigger.
- ps3 The sarcastic option for the fire may not be available leaving only to walk away, or fight.